The Student Room Group

Watches banned from the exam room

Is anyone else not allowed to wear any type of watch for their exams?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sounds a ridiculous rule. They should just ban any watch that is capable of storing data.. Banning all watches is overkill .
It's smart watches and possibly any digital watch that may look the part. They don't take any chances. Why should they? Analog watches are obviously ok though.
My mum is doing some exam invigilating and she has spoken about this. They enforce it quiet rigorously. I don't get the big deal. It's a necessary precaution.
A guy on my course had an ipod nano (the really small, square one) that also has a wrist watch attachment so it genuinely looks like a watch. He added lyrics in Russian to songs, but the lyrics were actually notes from the lectures.

He passed all his exams and didn't get caught.
Tie problem is that no one will have a time to check, wether your watch has a memory or no etc. So this year, unfortunately, we will be forced to come without watches. It sucks, especially if you are sitting far away from wall watch in the class... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty sure this is what is happening for us
we have to keep our watches on the desk and are not allowed to wear them. I think its so the invigilators can see that you aren't using a smart watch.
Also apparently the girls have to tie their hair back in our school's exams so that we can't cheat by hiding an earpiece. Have you heard of that stupid idea before???
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Sounds a ridiculous rule. They should just ban any watch that is capable of storing data.. Banning all watches is overkill .

Yeah, the original rule was that no smart watches are allowed (obviously) but when I got in this morning I was told that no watches whatsoever were allowed...
Reply 8
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's smart watches and possibly any digital watch that may look the part. They don't take any chances. Why should they? Analog watches are obviously ok though.
My mum is doing some exam invigilating and she has spoken about this. They enforce it quiet rigorously. I don't get the big deal. It's a necessary precaution.

The big deal I've got is that my watch can tell the time and that's about it ( https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=simple+lorus+sports+watch&hl=en&tbm=isch&imgil=TTdMng19WXxUqM%253A%253B0KBNzBriPiu4pM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.shopstyle.co.uk%25252Fbrowse%25252Fwatches%25252Florus&source=iu&pf=m&fir=TTdMng19WXxUqM%253A%252C0KBNzBriPiu4pM%252C_&usg=__7LLioTzJD9oeMPqnG81JhYZ9Yis%3D&biw=1366&bih=620&ved=0ahUKEwjg65Pa4s_MAhXqBcAKHcsPB9gQyjcIag&ei=RPcxV-C5LuqLgAbLn5zADQ#imgrc=TTdMng19WXxUqM%3A) but even this isn't allowed on the edge of the desk or anywhere in the exam room?!
Original post by hezzlington
A guy on my course had an ipod nano (the really small, square one) that also has a wrist watch attachment so it genuinely looks like a watch. He added lyrics in Russian to songs, but the lyrics were actually notes from the lectures.

Wow!
Original post by katieMCR
Pretty sure this is what is happening for us
we have to keep our watches on the desk and are not allowed to wear them. I think its so the invigilators can see that you aren't using a smart watch.
Also apparently the girls have to tie their hair back in our school's exams so that we can't cheat by hiding an earpiece. Have you heard of that stupid idea before???

I wouldn't mind sticking it on the edge so they could look at it when they come past to check we're in the right seats and tick us off the list but we're not even allowed to do that!!

I've not heard about the hair thing though... we have to have our hair tied up anyway
Original post by hezzlington

Damn he is brave.
Im allowed to wear my lacoste watch!:smile: I even asked the teacher and she said you can wear it?
Original post by Ayaz789
Im allowed to wear my lacoste watch!:smile: I even asked the teacher and she said you can wear it?

yeah I think it's some stupid rule they've invented for this year because I was allowed to wear the same watch for my gcses and as levels but now they've suddenly change it :s-smilie:
I really hope my school doesn't start banning watches! I understand that it can be hard to identify any smart watches, but I really rely on my watch - clocks on the wall aren't always accurate and it's hard to tell the exact minute, so I always set a stopwatch running at the start of the exam so it's easy to know when to move on to another question.
Original post by ThatLemming
yeah I think it's some stupid rule they've invented for this year because I was allowed to wear the same watch for my gcses and as levels but now they've suddenly change it :s-smilie:

But they havent even mentioned it to out sixth form? So im assuming we can still wear it tbh or does it say on the exam sheet that no watches allowed?
I don't see the fuss, it's a necessary precaution and if you need to check the time you can use the clock in the exam hall.

It's slightly inconvenient but so what.
Original post by Ayaz789
But they havent even mentioned it to out sixth form? So im assuming we can still wear it tbh or does it say on the exam sheet that no watches allowed?

on the exam sheet it says no watches with an ability to store data (smart watches) are allowed so I assumed my cheap £10 watch that can only tell the time would be fine but our exams officer came in and told us to put them under the desks for that exam and not to bring them to any other exams
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I really hope my school doesn't start banning watches! I understand that it can be hard to identify any smart watches, but I really rely on my watch - clocks on the wall aren't always accurate and it's hard to tell the exact minute, so I always set a stopwatch running at the start of the exam so it's easy to know when to move on to another question.

exactly!! ours are big clocks on the wall but the backing is slightly grey and there's shadows that make working out whether it 23 or 24 past difficult

I'm doing essay subjects and I know it sounds stupid but every tiny minute counts which is why I like being able to check my watch quickly
According to exam board rules, you are still allowed a watch in the exam. However there are now so many different types of watches which are banned, that some centres will just ban watches in general outright. It is nearly impossible for the invigilators to check every single persons watch before the exam to check if it is allowed or not, so banning them is fair enough. You will still be able to see the wall clocks so it isn't really an issue

Quick Reply

Latest