The Student Room Group

Height discrimination is worse than fat discrimination in dating

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How dare people have preferences - ****ing disgusting if ya ask me :colonhash:
I'm 5ft2 - and guys my age are all taller than that

Never knew height was an issue tbh.
Largely agree, despite the fact I benefit from both forms of discrimination. Being fat is a proxy for all sorts of bad personality traits; it makes sense that being fat is unattractive. Being tall was very useful 5,000 years ago but today not so much; it no longer makes sense that being short is unattractive.
discrimination is the wrong word if people have certain physical preferences that is natural
It's all down to the individual and it's all about personal confidence and attitude.

I am not tall but it really does not bother me and neither has it ever bothered any women I have dated or had relationships with - I'd say half of them were taller than me by a few inches (the tallest was a good 6" taller at nearly 6').

In fact, when a short guy is seen out with a well dressed and good looking women two things happen:
Other women look and admire the confidence;
Other men look with envy.

The less mature of both sexes seek to condescend and poke jibes through their own translated insecurities.

Glass half-full vs glass half-empty. Do whatever you feel comfortable with and to hell with the rest.
Original post by phunky_fresh
Why you so bitter? Most guys I know that are below average in height are in a relationship, sooo....

yeahh. most guys you know. doesn't mean that guys who you don't know don't get discriminated against/mocked because of it. hell i'm willing to bet your short male friends did as well; but wouldn't have told you about it.
I am 5 foot 5 ( stunt growth)
Severly depressed...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z33
How dare people have preferences - ****ing disgusting if ya ask me :colonhash:

preferences aren't the problem. everyone has preferences. most guys prefer girls who aren't fat. see? it isn't an issue. it only becomes one when society begins to attempt/try to shame guys for choosing not to go out with those fat girls (whilst praising girls for rejecting in a harsh and cold manner guys who aren't, shall we say, 'physically aesthetic') and simultaneously making it hard for guys to get with girls who are taller than them, that is, those same guys are mocked and ridiculed openly/to their face (seen friends experience this so many times) if a midget was to try to get with a girl taller than he was
Well your average UK bloke is only 5'9 anyway, women around 5'3 isn't it? Most guys, despite being slightly shorter it's not a massive problem. My main problem is I've always liked tall leggy girls, smaller than me but in the 5'7-5'10 bracket. If they're wearing heels they will be taller than me, one of my ex's quite bluntly said she found it embarrassing on nights out that I was smaller than her, despite the fact day to day I was a good two inches above her.
Original post by theDanIdentity
preferences aren't the problem. everyone has preferences. most guys prefer girls who aren't fat. see? it isn't an issue. it only becomes one when society begins to attempt/try to shame guys for choosing not to go out with those fat girls (whilst praising girls for rejecting in a harsh and cold manner guys who aren't, shall we say, 'physically aesthetic':wink: and simultaneously making it hard for guys to get with girls who are taller than them, that is, those same guys are mocked and ridiculed openly/to their face (seen friends experience this so many times) if a midget was to try to get with a girl taller than he was
The answer is to grow a thick skin, ignore what anyone says and simply get on with life.

If you allow yourself to be insulted and hurt by comments, you have handed power and control of your life over to trolls.

Not good.
Reply 30
Original post by KaminiZindagi
I am 5 foot 5 ( stunt growth)
Severly depressed...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am 5 foot 5, not to mention very young looking, but still in a relationship, and can't remember the last time I got any flack or jibes for my height. I think most people don't care; when looking at you the first thing they might notice is height, but the vast majority judge on less superficial things...those that don't, they can be ignored..
Original post by Erebor
Yes most women say this, but why does he have to be taller , why is it even an issue?

because I want a man who I feel can look after me and guys shorter than me don't make me feel like that. It's my preference, I know someone who's taller than her fiance and they're very happy. But, tall is my type. You can't change your type, when you aren't attracted to someone you just aren't.
Original post by bethwalker85
I'm a girl who's 5 foot 9 and I like to wear heels, so I want my boyfriend to be taller than me on a night out.

And I want my gf to have DDs and an ass like Kim Kardashian.

I don't have a problem with my height, nor am I one of those sad meninists, but OP has a point. If women can say I want a tall man, men can say I want big boobs (or whatever that particular man might fancy). He is even more right regarding the fat issue, you can stop eating bad and start exercising, saying I don't like fat is as much a preference for physique as it is for lifestyle. But height is not changeable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Look at Prince he had a lot of women. You can make up for yr height in other ways.

Yea all you have to do is become one of the most famous, successful singers/song writers in history with a $300 mill net worth.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I am 5 foot 5, not to mention very young looking, but still in a relationship, and can't remember the last time I got any flack or jibes for my height. I think most people don't care; when looking at you the first thing they might notice is height, but the vast majority judge on less superficial things...those that don't, they can be ignored..

my potential height was higher but i suffered from stunt growth..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ms-13
lol you're 6 feet why are you complaining you're taller than most girls and guys for that matter. I know guys who are 5'8-5'10 and have no problem pulling girls.

5'10 is average. 5'8 is borderline short so they shouldn't. Whether they're "discriminated against" is another story.
Reply 36
Original post by uberteknik
The answer is to grow a thick skin, ignore what anyone says and simply get on with life.

If you allow yourself to be insulted and hurt by comments, you have handed power and control of your life over to trolls.

Not good.

Fair enough, but as a society we rarely tell women to grow ''a pair'' or ''thick skin''. On the contrary, we encourage them to complain about everything and accept themselves the way they are (''love your curves'' etc) instead of doing something about it. This isn't just about being fat, it's about women (and especially feminists) always finding excuses when something doesn't sit well with them : not enough STEM students, CEO's, engineers, pilots, surgeons, MP's etc. Instead of being told to toughen up and get on with it (as men with extremely competitive degrees/careers do) we find ways to make endless excuses for their shortcomings and come up with ways to make it easier for them (quotas, lower entry stds, scholarships, all women lists etc).

I say this as someone who grew up in a former communist country where women aren't cocooned/pampered like in the West so their outcomes are far ''better'' (from a gender feminism perspective) even though the society is far more ''patriarchal''/traditional. Never even heard or seen the word feminism.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by bethwalker85
because I want a man who I feel can look after me and guys shorter than me don't make me feel like that. It's my preference, I know someone who's taller than her fiance and they're very happy. But, tall is my type. You can't change your type, when you aren't attracted to someone you just aren't.

That's true, repped.
Original post by Erebor
Fair enough, but as a society we rarely tell women to grow ''a pair'' or ''thick skin''. On the contrary, we encourage them to complain about everything and accept themselves the way they are (''love your curves'' etc) instead of doing something about it. This isn't just about being fat, it's about women (and especially feminists) always finding excuses when something doesn't sit well with them : not enough STEM students, CEO's, engineers, pilots, surgeons, MP's etc. Instead of being told to toughen up and get on with it (as men with extremely competitive degrees/careers do) we find ways to make endless excuses for their shortcomings and come up with ways to make it easier for them (quotas, lower entry stds, scholarships, all women lists etc).

I say this as someone who grew up in a former communist country where women aren't cocooned/pampered like in the West so their outcomes are far ''better'' (from a gender feminism perspective) even though the society is far more ''patriarchal''/traditional. Never even heard or seen the word feminism.
It's because for centuries, the male dominance within western culture perpetuated stereotypes and prejudices against women as second class. Women were forced to rely on men for their very lives and liberty.

The cultural/social stigmatism that came with it has left a legacy of gender segregation in many professions and you gave a prime list of those.

We are going through a cultural transition and true equality is right to be forced in order for it to become established. One could argue it is misappropriated and abused by a minority who seek privilege without merit, but this is a minority - albeit one that has a tangible impact.

At some point there will be no need for feminism (which incidentally simply seeks equality for both sexes) because gender inequality will no longer be an issue.
I agree, I don't get why a girl being taller than the guy is a no-no, like he could be a great guy but if he's not taller than you in heels there's no chance. Obvs everyone has preferences but it's a bit weird when it's a requirement since unlike weight it doesn't tell you about that person's lifestyle. I've never heard about guys rejecting girls for something like having small breasts (not sayin it doesn't happen) but it's common to hear about girls dismissing guys on height alone. Seriously, what is wrong with, say, a 6 ft woman going out with a 5'6 guy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending