The Student Room Group

Building Services Engineering

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice with regards to getting into this industry. I have a 2:1 in Beng Aerospace engineering from the university of Leicester, however I have limited interest in working in the Aerospace sector. I have spent a year after uni working as a support engineer but I don't see any future in my role as there is little to no development opportunities with my company.

I have applied to multiple grad schemes with no luck, which i presume is partially due to my aerospace specialization. I have looked into studying for an MSc in building services at either Brunel or London South Bank, would anyone recommend this route? Would i be better going for an MSc in mechanical engineering ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am really interested in working in this sector.

Thanks!
Original post by jami678
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice with regards to getting into this industry. I have a 2:1 in Beng Aerospace engineering from the university of Leicester, however I have limited interest in working in the Aerospace sector. I have spent a year after uni working as a support engineer but I don't see any future in my role as there is little to no development opportunities with my company.

I have applied to multiple grad schemes with no luck, which i presume is partially due to my aerospace specialization. I have looked into studying for an MSc in building services at either Brunel or London South Bank, would anyone recommend this route? Would i be better going for an MSc in mechanical engineering ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am really interested in working in this sector.

Thanks!

I can't offer specific advice about this sector, but it may be how you are marketing yourself. I'm assuming you have a decent, professional looking CV, can write a decent cover letter, etc. Graduate schemes may not be the best option, you may have better luck via networking etc.

Also, just out of curiosity, what is it that interests you in the building services sector?
Reply 2
I like to think my cover letter is decent, it has been checked over by a careers adviser. I think what goes against me most is my lack of any relevant experience coupled with my the aerospace in the title. I have now started to network but as yet unsuccessfully, but that may change. My thoughts with regards to the MSc is that it directly applicable to the sector so it may put me in better stead and puts me on track to gain CEng.

I've always had an interest in the construction industry but my strongest areas in engineering and the areas that find most interesting are based around thermodynamics and fluid flows, so building services sounds like the perfect industry for me. That and just a general interest in all the different systems in a building like plumbing and electrics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending