Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

What's the night life like?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm going here in September so I was just wondering what the night life is like, are there many clubs? Is it fairly easy to get a part time job as I'm guessing it's not that big?

Thank you

Nightlife in Aber is centered around pubs and I think it has more per head of population than any other town in the U.K. It only has two 'proper' clubs; Pier Pressure and Why Not? (known to most people by its old name of Yokos). They are very different and most Aber students have a strong preference for one or the other. Pier Pressure is by far the bigger of the two and mostly plays 90's and 00's cheese. Pier charges for entry every night its open (£3 with a student card I think) and the bouncers tend to be a bit overbearing (no drinks on the dance floor and you're not allowed back in after leaving unless you buy another ticket. Yokos is smaller and fills up much faster (it's worth getting a stamp early in the night so you can bypass the queue later on). It plays recent chart stuff with some 'club classics' thrown in. Has a bit of a reputation for sleaze. Basically they're both a bit crap, just in different ways. Two pubs have got dance floors as well; Court Royale (known as Harleys) which is pretty generic and the Angel which has 'alternative' nights in its back room (Metal, D&B etc.) and also stays open longer than Pier or Yokos.

Unfortunately, Aber is pretty terrible for part-time jobs and if you do manage to get one it'll probably have terrible pay and unsociable hours. You're often expected to stay over the holidays as well, as that's the only way of competing with locals and international students. I'd recommend getting a job over the Summer and saving instead.

I hope this has helped. If you have any other questions then feel free to post here or drop me a message. I hope you have a great time in Aber, I'm about to graduate and it's only just hit me how much I'll miss it!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.