The Student Room Group

Advise on structure of writing a poem based essay AS LEVEL ENG LIT

any advise? PLEASE I'm dying right now! so many exams next week
so stressed!!
Original post by goal101
so stressed!!

I've moved this to the English Exams forum - you're more likely to get an answer here :h:
Original post by goal101
so stressed!!

What do you exactly need help with? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
What do you exactly need help with? :smile:

So I'm doing Othello and poetry exam this Friday so the key things to wrote and mention
Also doing persuasion gatsby & unseen prose

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goal101
So I'm doing Othello and poetry exam this Friday so the key things to wrote and mention
Also doing persuasion gatsby & unseen prose

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, we've got what you're studied, but what do you need help on love?

PS: I've studied Othello and I've read Gatsby so might be able to help you. Is your poetry an anthology or a named poet?
Reply 5
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
So, we've got what you're studied, but what do you need help on love?

PS: I've studied Othello and I've read Gatsby so might be able to help you. Is your poetry an anthology or a named poet?

Since the theme is love through the ages I have to relate to love and this Friday I have an othello essay and poetry essay exam so just techniques to use throughout the exam and what I need to focus on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goal101
Since the theme is love through the ages I have to relate to love and this Friday I have an othello essay and poetry essay exam so just techniques to use throughout the exam and what I need to focus on

Posted from TSR Mobile

So poetry is usually all about its form, structure and language.

So you need to be looking at voice aspect and who is talking - is it the poet themselves, or is it a speaker - and what this reflects about love.

You need to understand poetic techniques and their functions. So an enjambment - what effect does this have on the thematic link of love. If it was something to do with desirable love and there was no enjambment, could this be a representation of lust - that the desire is so fast and quick that it represents a burning lust for whatever they are speaking about for example.

I honest think poetry is all about structure so you really need to know your poetic techniques as I believe poetry is more of a language/linguistic side and knowing the main poetic terminology will help with your precise analysis.

Make sure you know the main love: marriage and proposals, lust and desire, familial (sibling, parental), revenge and jealously, illicit and unlawful love, adultery and affairs, etc.

If you have a main understanding of these loves then you're sure to do OK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending