Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to change your life in 60 minutes (every day)

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

When our life comes to change, most of us automatically think about a new job abroad, a sudden stroke of luck, or maybe a spiritual journey in India. We are deeply convinced that running away from our environment and our daily life will make a change in our lives.
    It would be so stupid to think that the changes that I have listed do not regard us, but often their contribution is much more marginal than we might expect. Changing what is outside (city, work, etc.) does not necessarily modify the life. If we want to change our lives, we have to start with what’s inside: we must begin with ourselves.

The first productive practice to change your life: the holy hour

Robin Sharma, author of “The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams & Reaching Your Destiny”, speaks of it. Tony Robbins, an American guru of training, included it as the first step of one of his most famous programs of change. Entrepreneurs and managers have successfully integrated it into their agenda for years.
    I’m talking about The Holy Hour.

But what exactly is this habit?

Having a holy hour means starting your day taking the time to yourself and your personal growth. It means finding an hour in which nothing and no one can disturb us.It means programming your brain for success.Beyond the sensationalist definitions, having a holy hour means that you’ve to spend the first 60 minutes in the morning to very specific tasks, activities that can have a positive influence on the rest of your day.

The 20-20-20 rule: what to do in your holy hour?

If you want to get the most out of your holy time, there are some activities that you absolutely must avoid and others that you should implement without hesitation. The ones to avoid are those regarding wasting time on a social network or check web email lists.
    For the activities included in your holy hour, my advice is to apply the 20-20-20 rule:

20 minutes of exercise.
    Depending on your fitness level, you can start the day with a simple walk (perhaps using the breath walking), an invigorating jog or a total body workout. Begin the day by training your body and you will gain the strength to face your daily “jungle”.

20 minutes of meditation.
    Meditate immediately after physical activity is one of the strategies to get the best benefits of this age-old practice. In short, after having taken care of our bodies, we focus on our spirit. The balance that you will reach over time, with the practice of meditation, will be tremendously helpful to have the right perspective on the rest of the events of the day.

20-minute reading.
    Body, spirit and finally.. mind. My advice is to spend the last 20 minutes of your holy hour on reading (preferably not novels). Doing it early in the morning (after a session of meditation) will help you to absorb the most of the specific concepts.

I’m not asking you to take my word, but just try to carve out this holy hour every morning, for the next seven days, and then let me know how it went, what were your feelings, how did you feel for the rest of the day and what was your level of productivity.

This is the most helpful set of habits I have ever tried to improve my motivational thoughts and to sustain my student career. Productivity and concentration are direct consequences.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.