The Student Room Group

GCSE Law

Hey guys, I'm new here! xP But the Law exam is this Monday (yikes!!) and I feel like I'm behind in terms of the structure of the second units and the cases!! I don't know which ones to study?? Any help?? I'm doing Criminal Law and Family Law
for criminal law , study theft, robbery, burglary, non fatal offences/defences and murder and manslaughter. Make sure you know he rules/actus reus mens rea for each . Know at least one case per actus reus , e.g the actus reus of assault is to cause v apprehend immediate un;lawful violence , apprehend means to cause fear (logdon) etc...
Reply 2
are you doing AQA?
Hey guys does anyone knows how to get the 2014 IAL law past papers. Cheers
Reply 4
Original post by hunihuni
are you doing AQA?

Yes I'm doing AQA :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by popeye123
for criminal law , study theft, robbery, burglary, non fatal offences/defences and murder and manslaughter. Make sure you know he rules/actus reus mens rea for each . Know at least one case per actus reus , e.g the actus reus of assault is to cause v apprehend immediate un;lawful violence , apprehend means to cause fear (logdon) etc...

Thankyou :smile: and if we're given one specific scenario like murder for example can you just keep repeating the same case such as R v Martin and jus keep on comparing to the same case for similar questions?
Reply 6
I suppose I'm just worried because I'm using the old revision guide for AQA since there isn't really an updated one and I've looked at some past papers and perhaps some of the content or depth isn't in the revision guide?
Original post by TheNerdxP
Thankyou :smile: and if we're given one specific scenario like murder for example can you just keep repeating the same case such as R v Martin and jus keep on comparing to the same case for similar questions?

Yes, you could use Martin, but personally I would focus on the mens rea for murder ; cite Vickers to support gbh rule, and then just decide whether you think it's direct (mohan ) or oblique intention (Woollin)l by applying either to your scenario.
Reply 8
Original post by popeye123
Yes, you could use Martin, but personally I would focus on the mens rea for murder ; cite Vickers to support gbh rule, and then just decide whether you think it's direct (mohan ) or oblique intention (Woollin)l by applying either to your scenario.

So it's better to use multiple cases to support your point? such as for the acts reus and the mens rea? I'm just thinking how are you supposed to fit it all into the time for full marks because I remember last time I only just finished the test and time was up and I didn't get to read through anything. Also, what revision resources do you use? :smile:
Reply 9
Theory - state what the law is e.g. Murder is defined as the unlawful killing of a reasonable creature in being under the queens peace with malice aforethought. This definition comes from Coke

Application - identify the actus reus and mens rea and go through every element. E.g. The elements of that definition that make up the actus reus are unlawful killing, reasonable creature in being, under the queens peace. The mens rea is malice aforethought.

Cases - apply the cases to the relevant pieces of law. E.g. Malice aforethought was defined in Maloney as an intention to kill or cause GBH.

This may be a little too in depth but the way to make sure you're getting all the relevant points is to take every offence in the scenario separately and apply the TAC method, as shown above, using what you have been taught. If you take a systematic approach to it, you can't go wrong.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Hann95
Theory - state what the law is e.g. Murder is defined as the unlawful killing of a reasonable creature in being under the queens peace with malice aforethought. This definition comes from Coke

Application - identify the actus reus and mens rea and go through every element. E.g. The elements of that definition that make up the actus reus are unlawful killing, reasonable creature in being, under the queens peace. The mens rea is malice aforethought.

Cases - apply the cases to the relevant pieces of law. E.g. Malice aforethought was defined in Maloney as an intention to kill or cause GBH.

This may be a little too in depth but the way to make sure you're getting all the relevant points is to take every offence in the scenario separately and apply the TAC method, as shown above, using what you have been taught. If you take a systematic approach to it, you can't go wrong.

Good luck :smile:

Thankyou very much!! :smile: I was just wondering if there is a different structure to each question as some are five marks and then you have 3 marks, 5 marks etc.. Also on Unit 1 do you have to know all of the content? That may seem like a stupid question but you get the first section and then you chose between the criminal or civil section (8 or 9 to answer) so could I get away with just skimming over civil processes because I'm almost certain i'm picking the criminal section to answer.
Reply 11
Thankyou very much!! :smile: I was just wondering if there is a different structure to each question as some are five marks and then you have 3 marks, 5 marks etc.. Also on Unit 1 do you have to know all of the content? That may seem like a stupid question but you get the first section and then you chose between the criminal or civil section (8 or 9 to answer) so could I get away with just skimming over civil processes because I'm almost certain i'm picking the criminal section to answer.

I'm sorry I can't help any further, I did my GCSEs five years ago. I think GCSE and A-level is very much a fact regurgitating exercise for short answer questions. If you're asked to apply, use the TAC method :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Hann95
I'm sorry I can't help any further, I did my GCSEs five years ago. I think GCSE and A-level is very much a fact regurgitating exercise for short answer questions. If you're asked to apply, use the TAC method :smile:

No problem, thank you very much for the help! :smile:
So it's better to use multiple cases to support your point? such as for the acts reus and the mens rea? I'm just thinking how are you supposed to fit it all into the time for full marks because I remember last time I only just finished the test and time was up and I didn't get to read through anything. Also, what revision resources do you use? :smile:

If you use cases it needs to be approrpriate to the point you are making. one case does not cover all and in many circumsntances another case may be more on point.
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger
If you use cases it needs to be approrpriate to the point you are making. one case does not cover all and in many circumsntances another case may be more on point.

Understood, thank you very much! Are you aware of any lists of cases I could memorise for each thing such as voluntary manslaughter and murder. My revision book is outdated and doesn't contain any recent cases that I've seen on the mark schemes nor is it structured to every relevant charge.
Reply 15
No problem, thank you very much for the help! :smile:

No problem, if you're looking for quick summaries of cases, sites like e-law resources and sixth form law are very useful
Reply 16
Also, does anyone happen to know any Law Report sites?? I saw question like that in the last test and my revision guide doesn't state anything of that nature.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending