The Student Room Group

Chemistry or Chemical Engineering?

Hey guys,

I'm in Year 12 and so for a few years now I've had my mind set on studying Chemical Engineering at Cambridge, Imperial etc. but for a few weeks now I've been rethinking that decision, and now feel as though I want to study Chemistry instead. I have desperately been trying to weigh up the pros and cons of studying each course but still cannot come to a decision. Does anyone have any good advice on which course to choose?
Reply 1
There is not a lot of chemistry in CE, its mostly about pumping stuff through pipes.
Reply 2
Original post by Maker
There is not a lot of chemistry in CE, its mostly about pumping stuff through pipes.

That's actually a very helpful comment :smile: thank you!
Also, does anyone have any ideas for a near-dissertation topic I could do on Chemistry for EPQ (Extended Project Qualification)?
Original post by sue99
That's actually a very helpful comment :smile: thank you!
Also, does anyone have any ideas for a near-dissertation topic I could do on Chemistry for EPQ (Extended Project Qualification)?

I did mine on forensic chemistry and its effectiveness through time :smile: Finished it around 2-3 weeks ago, so happy! What parts of chemistry do you like? Maybe search through this website as it has lots of great chemistry stuff :biggrin: - http://www.compoundchem.com/
Reply 4
Original post by Kamara7
I did mine on forensic chemistry and its effectiveness through time :smile: Finished it around 2-3 weeks ago, so happy! What parts of chemistry do you like? Maybe search through this website as it has lots of great chemistry stuff :biggrin: - http://www.compoundchem.com/

Oooo that sounds really interesting - I was thinking of doing that topic actually....
What else is involved in the EPQ though? Because I heard that you also have to do a presentation but that rumour was never confirmed and is there a word limit (min or max)?
Original post by sue99
Oooo that sounds really interesting - I was thinking of doing that topic actually....
What else is involved in the EPQ though? Because I heard that you also have to do a presentation but that rumour was never confirmed and is there a word limit (min or max)?

So basically:

You carry out research on a topic of your choice

Either write a 5000 word essay or do an "artefact" (a product you produce like a drama performance, a book, computer code that does something, a model building, anything relevant) with 1000 words together with this. It doesn't have to be exactly this amount of words; if for the former option you do 4900 words, it'll probably be fine :wink:

Do a presentation covering your EPQ journey and a short Q&A session. It has to be some type of audience with your supervisor.

Then that's it!

Well, you also have to log everything in a logbook, which is like the document where you write about your planning, research you have to do, changes you've made, the presentation and a reflection at the end. I advise to have some sort of diary where you write EVERYTHING you've done so you know what you've done when. Also keep RefMe as a bookmark on your browser (you'll thank me later :tongue:). For a chemistry EPQ, you'll most probably write a 5000 word essay about your topic. After all this, you'll feel so relieved when you're done! It seems like a lot and I haven't covered absolutely everything, but if you're on top of everything, then you'll be fine. You can message me for help if you want :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest