The Student Room Group

Never have enough time in exams for essay based subjects?

Specifically in subjects like Religious Studies and English Literature, which also happen to, unfortunately, be subjects that I'd like an A* in.

I'm just not sure how people manage it. For RS, my exam board is OCR and that goddamn 12 marker. It just takes me so long to think about answers and then I always find I babble too much, although I really don't know how to stop this, because I feel like everything I'm saying is relevant, and perhaps it is, but I just simply don't have the time for it.

These situations are applicable to my english lit too. It's getting to the point where I'm having to skip thinking time and just plough straight into writing because I can't afford to waste any time at all. This leads me to feel like my piece of writing isn't as great or as thought out as it could've been.

HOW DO I GET MY TIME KEEPING STRAIGHT WITHOUT COMPROMISING THE QUALITY OF MY WRITING??!!
I'd love to help but I have exactly the same problem!
I'm year 10 but our RS is in 2 weeks and for the mock I finished with literally 2 minutes to spare and only got a B so I don't have time to add in the stuff which I need to get the higher grades :frown: Hope someone comes along soon to help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lemur14
I'd love to help but I have exactly the same problem!
I'm year 10 but our RS is in 2 weeks and for the mock I finished with literally 2 minutes to spare and only got a B so I don't have time to add in the stuff which I need to get the higher grades :frown: Hope someone comes along soon to help :smile:

looks like we're alone on this one
Reply 3
Original post by babymarima
Specifically in subjects like Religious Studies and English Literature, which also happen to, unfortunately, be subjects that I'd like an A* in.

I'm just not sure how people manage it. For RS, my exam board is OCR and that goddamn 12 marker. It just takes me so long to think about answers and then I always find I babble too much, although I really don't know how to stop this, because I feel like everything I'm saying is relevant, and perhaps it is, but I just simply don't have the time for it.

These situations are applicable to my english lit too. It's getting to the point where I'm having to skip thinking time and just plough straight into writing because I can't afford to waste any time at all. This leads me to feel like my piece of writing isn't as great or as thought out as it could've been.

HOW DO I GET MY TIME KEEPING STRAIGHT WITHOUT COMPROMISING THE QUALITY OF MY WRITING??!!

I'm on OCR RE (Spec A) and I'm generally alright at keeping time, but my RE teacher offered these tips:

- Spend around 15 minutes on parts a,b,c,d and 15 minutes on part e (the 12 mark)
- If you think you might run out of time do the 6 / 12 mark questions before the 1,2,3 mark questions
Reply 4
Original post by gregan
I'm on OCR RE (Spec A) and I'm generally alright at keeping time, but my RE teacher offered these tips:

- Spend around 15 minutes on parts a,b,c,d and 15 minutes on part e (the 12 mark)
- If you think you might run out of time do the 6 / 12 mark questions before the 1,2,3 mark questions

Thanks a lot, I'll try out both those techniques and see if anything helps

I have exactly the same problem, I'm working at A* in both !! especially English there is not enough time!! What I have done is do loads of questions under exam conditions e.g we have a 47 mark literature question so i spent 50 mins on it. NEVER START WRITING WITHOUT A PLAN!! It helps you organise your ideas even if you rush it always helps!! Good luck, when is your English exam? Mine is on the 23rd then the 27th.
Reply 6
Original post by eg1472
I have exactly the same problem, I'm working at A* in both !! especially English there is not enough time!! What I have done is do loads of questions under exam conditions e.g we have a 47 mark literature question so i spent 50 mins on it. NEVER START WRITING WITHOUT A PLAN!! It helps you organise your ideas even if you rush it always helps!! Good luck, when is your English exam? Mine is on the 23rd then the 27th.

Damn, at least you're working at an A* grade now, congrats.
Yeah, I reckon I gotta practice and work on being able to write concisely but at the same time include all the points I want to include.
Yeah, today I practised an RS paper with a plan and I found the paper was so much more chill, like I wasn't stressed about what I was going to write next, so defo using a plan for my english lit practices too.

EXAMS ON THOSE DATES TOO fml, do you do AQA?
Reply 7
How long do you reckon I should spend on planning an essay, knowing that I have to write 3/4 essays for english lit in 1hr30mins?
I reckon mapping out my essays would be quicker if I thought of points quicker, so I reckon I'm just gonna have to revise the material a lil more for that to be successful
Reply 8
nicee thx
Damn, at least you're working at an A* grade now, congrats.
Yeah, I reckon I gotta practice and work on being able to write concisely but at the same time include all the points I want to include.
Yeah, today I practised an RS paper with a plan and I found the paper was so much more chill, like I wasn't stressed about what I was going to write next, so defo using a plan for my english lit practices too.

EXAMS ON THOSE DATES TOO fml, do you do AQA?

No we do edexcel, it looks so much easier compare to AQA so good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest