Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get started in the weights room as a GIRL?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

The weights room is kinda scary. I have no idea what to do or where to begin or how heavy I should start...can I just go to my gym and ask them to tell me?

You should be able to get an induction, it may be crap

I'd start by having a plan, going in not knowing what you might do is harder. Beginner programmes will tell you to start with just the bar or add weight til you feel some effort then use that as your starting point. The internet if full of advice on how to squat etc which you can look up first so you have a reasonable idea of how to do it. Remember that you're not that interesting, nobody really cares what you are doing and the nerves are just in your head

Do you have any friends who lift? Male or female? I'd ask them to get you started to be honest. Best way in my opinion.

Most gym inductions are absolute shite, they literally just walk you around point to machines, say what they are called and give you your card and leave. And a personal trainer will cost you an bomb on top of your gym membership. Group sessions can be good, but group weight sessions seem to pretty rare. Most group sessions tend to be cardio stuff.

Start on an actual program, then you should know what you're doing. What goals do you have in mind?

I agree on inductions being crap. I recently moved gyms and had to have an induction and I forgot how terrible they are :lol: Basically just leading you around saying "This is the so-and-so room, we have so-and-so equipment here. Let's go to the next area.". The personal trainer who was giving me my induction lead me up the stairs and said "Now we come to the freeweights room - the best room!" and I was thinking "It is... maybe you should give it a go sometime, you don't look like you've ever been in one." :lol:
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.