The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY HIS3B: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603. 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

There's been talk of MQs, but would AQA set a question on such a narrow area? I know they have done in the past but it seems unlikely to me that they would restrict it to just one person
how could the mid-tudor religion question be phrased?
Original post by justeenez
There's been talk of MQs, but would AQA set a question on such a narrow area? I know they have done in the past but it seems unlikely to me that they would restrict it to just one person

Could be MQS affecting Domestic/Foreign policy (e.g. France) for England?

Posted from TSR Mobile
All really helpful advice and resources here! Does anyone have any essay plans? I've got extensive amounts of essays which I'll share but was wondering if anyone had some plans! Thanks :smile:
Praying for Elizabeth's government/parliament to come up, haaate foreign policy so would rather avoid it at all costs. Also I think I'd find an MQS question hard to theme
Original post by a_bit_of_a_noob
how could the mid-tudor religion question be phrased?

How successful were Tudor monarchs in dealing with religion in the years 1547-1558?

or something like that maybe
Original post by thehollowcrown
Praying for Elizabeth's government/parliament to come up, haaate foreign policy so would rather avoid it at all costs. Also I think I'd find an MQS question hard to theme

I'm quite the opposite!! But I think I'm just starting to get my head around parliament/government/ministers. I think those questions would fluster me most in the exam though :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any structure or advice for the main body of the essay and the paragraph structure and how to analyse and not be narrative

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomsouth98
Does anyone have any structure or advice for the main body of the essay and the paragraph structure and how to analyse and not be narrative

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're struggling, always try to aim for 'themed' paragraphs, ie. foreign, economic, political reasons for something and 3 big paragraphs of those should be enough.

If you're struggling to think of all-ecompassing, broad themes, you could split it into 6 smaller paragraphs (3 agreeing, 3 disagreeing with the question) and those could be more specific like 'catholic plots', 'privateering', ect...

Otherwise, if its a breadth question that spans the whole of Elizabeth's reign or her reign and some of the 'little tudors' reign, then you could divide the paragraphs by years but it becomes harder not to be narrative when the paragraphs are separated chronologically rather than by ideas :smile:
Does anybody have any notes on how relations with France helped Elizabeth achieve her foreign policy aims please??:s-smilie:
For an Elizabeth Parliament question, would you be expected to talk about the house of commons//lords and local government? Or just focus on the effectiveness etc of Parliament.
Reply 71
"Both national and local government suffered from fundamental weaknesses in the years 1571-1588."
"How important were relations with France in helping Elizabeth achieve her foreign policy aims?"

These are so off spec with hwo questions recently have been asked, I suggest if you're worried about them then don't worry because these are super duper old. Local government is ignored nowadays, and such specific FP questions havent come up in years!
Original post by redwhiteandbrit
Could be MQS affecting Domestic/Foreign policy (e.g. France) for England?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose it would have to come under foreign policy then. I can't see them asking one about MQS and then another foreign policy question, that would be to completely ignore such large chunks of the period after 1558
definitely just Parliament (although houses of commons and lords are part of parliament), don't talk about the workings of Privy Coucillors or local government as although they were part of Elizabeth's government, they were not part of her Parliament.

Parliament's 3-part heirarchy was:
Soveriegn
House of Lords
House of Commons

So only talk about those divisions in a parliament question, unless talking about the few Councillors who influenced Parliament or were members
What's a possible depth question on MQS? Will it be linked to foreign policy with France?
Original post by thehollowcrown

I feel the exact same! I think a Q on Elizabeth's govt would be good, it could be across the whole period or just 1588-1603 looking at her decline.

Any thoughts on potential Puritan/Catholic threat Q's?
Anyone got any ideas on what we could put for a 'How reformed was the Church?" question? I've planned pretty much all of them and I'm totally stuck for this one. I've looked at the mark scheme and asked my teacher and their arguments don't really make sense to me. HELP!
Original post by a_bit_of_a_noob
definitely just Parliament (although houses of commons and lords are part of parliament), don't talk about the workings of Privy Coucillors or local government as although they were part of Elizabeth's government, they were not part of her Parliament.

Parliament's 3-part heirarchy was:
Soveriegn
House of Lords
House of Commons

So only talk about those divisions in a parliament question, unless talking about the few Councillors who influenced Parliament or were members

There's loads of historians quotes about how the Privy Council influenced and managed parliament. If a question about effective parliament management came up would these be relevant then?
Original post by Saffron_G
I feel the exact same! I think a Q on Elizabeth's govt would be good, it could be across the whole period or just 1588-1603 looking at her decline.

Any thoughts on potential Puritan/Catholic threat Q's?

They haven't actually asked a specific question on the puritans yet so I reckon there is a good chance of that being on the exam! Perhaps even a statement such as '"The Puritan movement was the biggest threat to Elizabeth's authority from 1571 - 1588." Assess the validity of this view.' Or how dangerous they were to Elizabeth and her government. There could be a similar question about the Catholics too, or one such as "To what extent was Mary Queen of Scots' presence in England, in the years 1568 - 1578, the biggest Catholic threat that Elizabeth and her government faced." Not too sure just some ideas??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CatherineAnne97
Anyone got any ideas on what we could put for a 'How reformed was the Church?" question? I've planned pretty much all of them and I'm totally stuck for this one. I've looked at the mark scheme and asked my teacher and their arguments don't really make sense to me. HELP!

I would do it thematically:
First theme - discuss the settlement and Elizabeth's ideas, how she only aimed for a via media etc
Second theme - settlement from the Puritan view, who considered it only half reformed, talk about how Elizabeth resisted Puritan reforms, meaning the half-reform which she laid down in her settlement persisted
Third theme - settlement from the Catholic view, who obviously considered it too far reformed, as shown by their opposition to the settlement, but then I'd say how by the 1590s Catholicism had dwindled, and Elizabeth's settlement was largely enforced

So my overall argument would be that the church was half-reformed because Elizabeth wanted it to be, and she resisted Puritan and Catholic opposition to it, meaning her Book of Common Prayer had seen 2 generations by 1603.

Does that help at all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending