The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY HIS3B: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603. 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elen90
Do you write plans or do you just hop right into it? If you do write plans what would your structure be?

Spoiler

I'm never short of content or arguments/historiographical debate but I struggle to hit the top grades due to my erratic structures.

With such a structure as above, would you be more tempted to simply do the 3 for/3 against in order or would you follow a for/against, for/against, for/against structure? I do the second but my teacher says it's confusing.

afaik there's nothing wrong with either structure because in both, the person has shown the opposing side of the argument
Hi everyone, hope the last minute preparation is going well!

Any suggestions as to how you would structure this question: "rebellions were largely religiously motivated between 1547-1558"?

Original post by Saffron_G

Any suggestions as to how you would structure this question: "rebellions were largely religiously motivated between 1547-1558"?

I would either do a paragraph for each motivation, e.g. economic/social, government and religion. Or maybe a paragraph for each rebellion.
On 'ATVOTV' questions do you have to make an explicit statement at the end saying something along the lines of 'thus the statement can be rejected/accepted (to a certain extent)'?
Original post by Saffron_G

Three paragraphs:

Religious causes
Political causes
Socio-economic causes
Original post by elen90
Do you write plans or do you just hop right into it? If you do write plans what would your structure be?

Spoiler

I'm never short of content or arguments/historiographical debate but I struggle to hit the top grades due to my erratic structures.

With such a structure as above, would you be more tempted to simply do the 3 for/3 against in order or would you follow a for/against, for/against, for/against structure? I do the second but my teacher says it's confusing.

If i'm going to write a plan i will literally write three words at the top of the page so i don't forget my themes lol eg
religious
socio-economic
political
I don't think there's any time to write plans in this exam personally.

Ok so if we got a question on to what extent MQS was a threat my themes would be:

Her domestic religious threat
Her domestic political threat
Her international links as a threat

So say for example I was arguing that MQS was a threat to Elizabeth, then in each paragraph, I would show how MQS was a threat, counterbalance it with a different interpretation, then knock down this alternative interpretation. This way I am offering a balanced argument without weakening my judgement in the essay.

Eg for part of my political paragraph:

MQS posed a political threat to Elizabeth’s position as she was a figurehead for Catholic conspiracies against her. For example, the 1583 Throckmorton Plot aimed to kill Elizabeth and replace her with Mary; this was a challenge to Elizabeth’s political position and personal safety. Indeed, in the words of John Bossy, this plot was a ‘fairly near thing’ which seriously threatened the regime. Although it can be argued that Walsingham, acting as Elizabeth’s spymaster general, was able to uncover the plot due to his contacts in the French Embassy before it escalated into a threat, the 1584 Bond of Association which followed it shows that it was indeed considered a threat by Elizabeth’s government; Cecil and Walsingham, in drafting this legislation,were clearly concerned that the plots centred on MQS were posing a challenge to their monarch’s position.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aydin7
I would either do a paragraph for each motivation, e.g. economic/social, government and religion. Or maybe a paragraph for each rebellion.

I planned this in class and found it easier to do it reign by reign with economic, social, government and religious factors considered in each! (Came to conclusion economy was main motivation - bad economy = greater inflation = greater prices on basic goods such as food = dissatisfied society = rebellion) with the killer detail that Northumberland had no rebellions and improved economy drastically whereas both Somerset and Mary financially suffered significantly more than they gained...failed wars loss of Calais for Mary (trade) etc etc!
Has anyone got anything on trade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thehollowcrown
If i'm going to write a plan i will literally write three words at the top of the page so i don't forget my themes lol eg
religious
socio-economic
political
I don't think there's any time to write plans in this exam personally.

Ok so if we got a question on to what extent MQS was a threat my themes would be:

Her domestic religious threat
Her domestic political threat
Her international links as a threat

So say for example I was arguing that MQS was a threat to Elizabeth, then in each paragraph, I would show how MQS was a threat, counterbalance it with a different interpretation, then knock down this alternative interpretation. This way I am offering a balanced argument without weakening my judgement in the essay.

Eg for part of my political paragraph:

MQS posed a political threat to Elizabeth’s position as she was a figurehead for Catholic conspiracies against her. For example, the 1583 Throckmorton Plot aimed to kill Elizabeth and replace her with Mary; this was a challenge to Elizabeth’s political position and personal safety. Indeed, in the words of John Bossy, this plot was a ‘fairly near thing’ which seriously threatened the regime. Although it can be argued that Walsingham, acting as Elizabeth’s spymaster general, was able to uncover the plot due to his contacts in the French Embassy before it escalated into a threat, the 1584 Bond of Association which followed it shows that it was indeed considered a threat by Elizabeth’s government; Cecil and Walsingham, in drafting this legislation,were clearly concerned that the plots centred on MQS were posing a challenge to their monarch’s position.

This helps, thanks!

I never used to write plans but figured out that it takes me five minutes, and I end up writing the same amount anyway as it's continuous writing as opposed to stopping to think about what my next point should be (4-5 sides of A4 usually).
What sort of questions could there be about Elizabeth and her government and how could they be worded?
do you think it's likely aqa will repeat same/ similar questions as they have used in previous years as it is the last official year?
Has anybody got any idea on predictions for this year or what to focus on for last minute revision?
How do you go about marking your own essay? The mark schemes seem really cryptic.
Original post by bethl303
Has anybody got any idea on predictions for this year or what to focus on for last minute revision?

Original post by sixthformer122
do you think it's likely aqa will repeat same/ similar questions as they have used in previous years as it is the last official year?

Go and read the examiners reports, they are usually a very good source to guess what they will set.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Go and read the examiners reports, they are usually a very good source to guess what they will set.

What do you mean by that? Read all of the examiners notes from every past paper or just from last year? thanks
What do you mean by that? Read all of the examiners notes from every past paper or just from last year? thanks

Both, especially last year's though.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Both, especially last year's though.

Do you think it will be most likely the questions answered poorly will be asked again as opposed to the questions answered well?

Thanks so much for your help!
Do you think it will be most likely the questions answered poorly will be asked again as opposed to the questions answered well?

Thanks so much for your help!

Not a problem. I think they will do a mixture of both in order to ensure a decent spread of marks. I can kinda see there being a question on rebellions and another on religion based on last years examiner's report.
Does it matter too much if you don't add in any historian quotes? I'm struggling to remember many 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 159
Hi guys, the thread is so useful! Hope you all do well, hope they are kind to us!!
Im really struggling with my essay intros it doesnt flow like normally what i would do is

E g. Between 1571-1588 the cath threat to elizabeth both at home and abroad was neutralised with relative ease. How convincing is this view?

Id give some arguments for and against? In the intro any tips on how to like impress the examiner from the onsent in the intro

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending