The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY HIS3B: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603. 10th June 2016

Just thought i'd make a thread for this exam as I haven't seen one yet. Post essays, queries, anything to do with the exam- we can all help eachother out :smile: How's everyone's revision for it going at the moment?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread as I thought my school was one of few to be completing this topic and there's not always as many resources as I'd like. Revision is going alright. Has for anybody got any predictions for what might come up in next month's exam?
Hiya! I added this to the A Level exam thread directory, which you can find here :parrot:
Woah this thread is quieter than I expected, we really must be one of the few schools to do this topic. I'm thinking maybe something on Elizabeth's parliaments, government or her royal authority could be likely? I've never seen a french foreign policy question so that could be one too
Hiya! Our teacher reckons they could be sneaky and throw in a question themed around Mary Q. Scots, or also one about domestic government under Elizabeth. Foreign policy might be the breadth question. I'm dreading this exam though - it's the day after geography so my head will be filled with case studies not dates!! :s-smilie:
Original post by redwhiteandbrit
Hiya! Our teacher reckons they could be sneaky and throw in a question themed around Mary Q. Scots, or also one about domestic government under Elizabeth. Foreign policy might be the breadth question. I'm dreading this exam though - it's the day after geography so my head will be filled with case studies not dates!! :s-smilie:

aghh that sucks, good luck for the geog! ooo yeah they're good suggestions. Atleast domestic affairs was a 2014 question so we have the mark scheme for that to kinda base it on, have you guys managed to find any historiography on Mary Q. of Scots actual threat to Elizabeth cos I can only really seem to find it on plots related to her? Incase that question did come up a few quotes would be nice :smile:
Reply 6
I'm in agreement, because looking at the AQA A2 History Elizabeth Textbook the only parts that mention Mary QofS is the Catholic plots of the 1570-1580's. However I have another book on Elizabeth I'm reading: The later Tudors : England, 1547-1603 by Penry Williams... so I'll look in there to see if she is mentioned. :smile:

So we reckon it could be Mary QofS, Domestic Government & Foreign Policy.... When we were looking at 2015's paper they did have some nice ones! Good Luck to everyone on June 10th by the way!

So glad that my school isn't the only one doing this topic.
Reply 7
Original post by suavenerdiness
Woah this thread is quieter than I expected, we really must be one of the few schools to do this topic. I'm thinking maybe something on Elizabeth's parliaments, government or her royal authority could be likely? I've never seen a french foreign policy question so that could be one too

Elizabeth's Parliament's can be approached with Government when we were discussing it in class yesterday. Hmm that is very true as its the last year they could easily be cheeky and flush out a French Foreign Policy question... However my only issue is would it be possible to make a 45 mark essay on it? Because its not as long or enduring in detail as the Netherlands or the Spanish Armada. You could mention it in foreign policy though.
Reply 8
does anyone know all the possible themes for the breadth question?
We're doing this exam too :frown:

I'll link in last years thread, cause although it's last year they've got loads of example essays, useful tips etc. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3372499

It's the same formula every year. A question on government, a question on religion and a question on foreign policy. Looking at last years questions (mid-Tudor rebellions, religious challenges to Elizabeth and last years FP - spoiler for full Q's), I'm thinking we'll have mid-Tudor reform (religion), Elizabeth's management of Parliament (government) and then a question on Spain if they're nice and France if they're horrible (foreign policy)...but that's just speculation :redface:

I feel a little bit sick in my mouth for this exam, because even though I know some stuff I don't know all the stuff which leaves me with trails of half-planned essays and plans for my move to Nepal on results day.

However, good luck to the rest of you. I'm sure you're troopers.

Spoiler

Original post by lukearos
I'm in agreement, because looking at the AQA A2 History Elizabeth Textbook the only parts that mention Mary QofS is the Catholic plots of the 1570-1580's. However I have another book on Elizabeth I'm reading: The later Tudors : England, 1547-1603 by Penry Williams... so I'll look in there to see if she is mentioned. :smile:

So we reckon it could be Mary QofS, Domestic Government & Foreign Policy.... When we were looking at 2015's paper they did have some nice ones! Good Luck to everyone on June 10th by the way!

So glad that my school isn't the only one doing this topic.

I see where they're coming from with those themes, but they're bound to chuck a mid-Tudor one in there somewhere. Mid-Tudor foreign policy isn't actually on the spec (and it would be bloody hard to squeeze 45 marks out of that inconsequential fluff), and I reckon domestic government is 9/10 going to come up so that leaves religion to Mid-Tudor. If she did come up that would probably mean we'd get mid-Tudor effectiveness of government...ugh.
How's revision going guys? I'm hoping for a last years question like: To what extent did royal authority decline in the years 1589 to 1603?(june 2013)
Any good resources for historical interpretations and debate?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys! so glad that our school isn't the only one doing this course, but my teacher seems to think Puritan threat to Elizabeth or government will come up :frown: I would hate for government or parliament to come as I find it so difficult!!
Hello, yeah I also think that Parliament/ gov will come up but would have no idea how to tackle it. Any ideas? Bit worried because the questions last year seemed good hopefully we won't get a bad set.
Original post by Gabriellamoxey
Hey guys! so glad that our school isn't the only one doing this course, but my teacher seems to think Puritan threat to Elizabeth or government will come up :frown: I would hate for government or parliament to come as I find it so difficult!!

I'd love for either one of them questions to come up!! For government/parliament you could talk about loads, it depends on what time period they give you (nearer to end of reign is easier), but if they gave you something like 'from 1589-1603 Elizabeth's government declined in efficiency' you could talk about death of ministers and how this affected gov. efficiency (can go in depth about Cecil's role, how he and other ministers were representatives for E1 in parliament, he conveniently moved to House of Lords when presence grew), their replacements were inadequate and by E1 not immediately replacing she further hampered state authority, replacements Essex and Cecil had a fierce factional rivalry that affected parliament and gov (can maybe develop an idea of how this led to Essex Rebellion and go on to talk about that, include the sweet wine monopolies thing as a factor too though), Essex Rebellion's effects- after decades of fiercely loyal ministers one of E1's favoured had turned against her (could represent decline in her own royal authority which would've impacted her government as she was seen as less adequate to make policies like she was earlier in reign- this could also be shown by her 1597 Poor Laws being revised in 1601 by parliament), and then maybe some yada yada about how her old age affected government and parliament would assume partial autonomy of things (shown by 1601 parliament by issue of monopolies). There's probably loads more that I've missed but just thinking off the top of my head, anyone else got any good parliament/government point we could write about if it was a question?
must agree that Parliament is an area I feel weak on in Elizabeth's reign, mainly due to its isolated nature. FP and Religion are closely interlinked, as were the threats involved (MQS, Rebellions) and Elizabeth's later decline. However Parliament feels like something separate from the framework. Anyway, complaining wont do me much good.

Does anyone know how they would plan "to what extent was Elizabeth's relationship with Parliament tense and hostile between 1558 and 1603"?
Anyone else starting revision just now? =p
Reply 17
I really hope they're nice to us, a Spanish foreign policy question would be good. Does anyone have any essay plans for Puritan's/Presbyterians and French foreign policy as those are my weaker topics??
Reply 18
I think since a documentary came out on MQS she's very likely to pop up but im not sure if its in relation to Elizabeth's control of ministers, or dangers of religion, loyalty etc.

I doubt the settlement or marriage will come up or rebellions in mid-tudor crisis as it came up last year. I think mid-tudors could be quite mean and be on something about their government, and for Foreign policy last years was so beautiful, so i think we could get a quite tough one. Make sure you know well about trade, and puritan choir to affecting QE's FP as I think it will be quite indepth this time.
Reply 19
Do you have any notes for Puritan choir? It's one of my weaker points. The AS exam was pretty good for us so they could either be nice again or really mean. As it's the last year before they chang the course I reckon it could go either way.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending