The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

size of lectures and seminars?

Hey everyone, I'm a student from California who's coming to Edinburgh to study history for 2007-2008. One thing I've been really curious about is the actual size of lectures and tutorials; nothing on the Edinburgh uni website indicates it. I'll be taking the first year Scottish History course and four of the third year honours history courses. Do you guys have an idea of how many people might be in them? I go to a ridiculously huge public university (Berkeley), so large classes don't faze me that much, but I'd like to have an idea. Thank you so much for your help, and I look forward to learning more about Edinburgh!
Reply 1
I have absolutely no idea (sorry.)

But WOAH, you go to Berkeley! I wanted to apply there but I have to admit, I was far too lazy to want to study for A levels as well as SATs.

Enjoy your time at Edi.

-Terr
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I'm in science, not history, so don't want to give you the wrong info, but try taking a look at the admissions stats for your course. This should give you some idea of the class sizes. Is it a BA or MA that you're applying for? MA in Scottish/Celtic history only had 3 applicants!

http://www.sra.ed.ac.uk/admissions/AdmissionsStatistics/AdmissionsStatistics1.htm
Most of the 'Arts' lectures tend to have about 200-300 students in them in first year, but it totally depends on the course as there are loads of different first year history courses, so the number of students might be less in each lectures. Tutorials have about 12 students in and are held for an hour once a week, this is where you discuss readings, whats happening in the lectures etc. As far as I know, History doesn't have seminars. If it does, they'll have about 25 people in.

In the 3rd year classes I'm not really sure, but I assume there will be a lot less people in the lectures, but I don't know about the tutorials.

Latest

Trending

Trending