The Student Room Group

Transferring Uni after first year

Please help!
I am a first year student that is looking to change uni for various reasons (expenses, picked uni under wrong circumstances, course issues) with some questions:

A) how do I apply to a new uni? Am I too late in the year? I have emailed them my modules etc and the new uni is looking into it but will I eventually apply through UCAS? Or just communication with my preferred uni?

B) I have definitely not aced first year grade-wise. I have a couple of failed assignments within modules (but passed all modules) will this greatly affect my chances? Do I even have to submit this info? My new uni is substantially lower in league tables than my current

C) do I ever have to tell them I'm a transfer? Or can I just drop out and then reapply via UCAS with my a-levels

The uni is currently getting back to me on whether they will accept a transfer student with my a-levels and current modules at this point but any help with these questions, or any previous similar experiences would be greatly helpful!!

Thanks xxxx
Original post by hen12345
Please help!
I am a first year student that is looking to change uni for various reasons (expenses, picked uni under wrong circumstances, course issues) with some questions:

A) how do I apply to a new uni? Am I too late in the year? I have emailed them my modules etc and the new uni is looking into it but will I eventually apply through UCAS? Or just communication with my preferred uni?

B) I have definitely not aced first year grade-wise. I have a couple of failed assignments within modules (but passed all modules) will this greatly affect my chances? Do I even have to submit this info? My new uni is substantially lower in league tables than my current

C) do I ever have to tell them I'm a transfer? Or can I just drop out and then reapply via UCAS with my a-levels

The uni is currently getting back to me on whether they will accept a transfer student with my a-levels and current modules at this point but any help with these questions, or any previous similar experiences would be greatly helpful!!

Thanks xxxx

A) you'll have to go through UCAS to make it formal if you're changing university
B) yes - you should declare all your results, it's up to the uni you're applying to to decide what is relevant not up to you. Tell them everything and let them make the call.
C) Ideally your UCAS reference should be provided by someone from your current uni. Speak to your tutor or course leader (or someone else who has taught you that you've got on with) about transferring. They should be able to not only offer a reference but to help you navigate the system. DO NOT WITHDRAW before August - if you do SFE can decide they've overpaid you for the year and demand money back! If you're applying to start again in year 1 then your A levels will usually be all you need to get a place but it depends on the university you're applying to - some will want to see that you can succeed at university level study or will ask you to complete the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending