The Student Room Group

How cool was Concorde?

Just look at this legend

Scroll to see replies

****! Is one word for that... I mean, it just looks incredible! Wouldn't mind flying one of those over campus xD
Beast in the air.
Cool is not the word!
Nose is a let down, for me, anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by RezzBerry

Nose was only down when landing or taking off, and for purely practical reasons.

1434577823127.jpg

Spoiler

Oh wow, it looks so much better with the nose in-line.

I was wondering how it was so aerodynamic with the nose in that shape.
Reply 6
Original post by Pickles
Just look at this legend

As an aviator, I would say it is quite a dazzler, but there are other aircrafts that are more praiseworthy than the beautiful concord.
Original post by mobbsy91
****! Is one word for that... I mean, it just looks incredible! Wouldn't mind flying one of those over campus xD

Exactly so :yep:
Original post by RezzBerry

Actually, the Concord's nose is one remarkable engineering achievement. It's nose is built in such a way, that it can be "drooped" when needed. Because the nose is quite long, it block's the pilot's view of the runway. Therefore, the pilots have the choice of lowering it when required. When it is cruising, it's nose is not drooping as you can see below:
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19465wobmyc0ljpg/original.jpg
Just plane awesome.

I'm hilarious.
Reply 8
Original post by Hamoody
As an aviator, I would say it is quite a dazzler, but there are other aircrafts that are more praiseworthy than the beautiful concord.

In terms of commercial, Concorde is one of the best, but completely different to what we have today (a380, a350XWB and of course the 787 Dreamliner)
Reply 9
Original post by Pickles
In terms of commercial, Concorde is one of the best, but completely different to what we have today (a380, a350XWB and of course the 787 Dreamliner)

Well yes. In terms of commercial aviation, concorde is a true legend. However, if you caste a glance at military aircrafts, you'll be quite honestly stunned. :eek:
As for what we have today, they are true engineering masterpieces :love:
Just look at this little baby:

@ravioliyears your thoughts?
Reply 10
Original post by Hamoody
Well yes. In terms of commercial aviation, concorde is a true legend. However, if you caste a glance at military aircrafts, you'll be quite honestly stunned. :eek:
As for what we have today, they are true engineering masterpieces :love:
Just look at this little baby:

@ravioliyears your thoughts?

I'm more of an Airbus fan - the dreamliner is beautiful, but the 350 and 380....

Original post by Pickles
I'm more of an Airbus fan - the dreamliner is beautiful, but the 350 and 380....

Quite honestly, the A350 is no little game. It's a beauty too, but the A380 is pathetic. It's too clumsy unfortunately for Airbus and oh, they were almost going to stop productions for it. Can you believe it, they broke even in January, like all this time, they really weren't getting anything for the manufacture :lol: I'm a Boeing fan, so naturally something that hinders Airbus's regime would delight me :colone:
Original post by Pickles

The A350 is beautiful :love:

I might have a slight bias because my grandfather designed parts of the wing sections, but the DH Comet still has best engine housing I have seen on any aircraft.
Reply 14
Original post by Jonsmith98

I might have a slight bias because my grandfather designed parts of the wing sections, but the DH Comet still has best engine housing I have seen on any aircraft.

Indeed. And beautifully dangerous windows...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not that cool.

Its cockpit is pretty cool too...

Original post by Pickles

not sure what bits you're looking at but I always notice this horror,,,

fugloid.jpg

it looks like it's got extruded flab bulging out of too tight clothing or something
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone know why it was put out of service? I know there was a crash involved, but surely they would've simply re-designed the plane or introduced more rigorous maintenance protocols instead of scrapping the multi-$billion project entirely?
Reply 19
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Anyone know why it was put out of service? I know there was a crash involved, but surely they would've simply re-designed the plane or introduced more rigorous maintenance protocols instead of scrapping the multi-$billion project entirely?

Fundamentally, cost.

But it was an old aircraft when it was finally retired.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest