The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by typonaut
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/children/11723308/First-cousin-marriages-in-Pakistani-communities-leading-to-appalling-disabilities-among-children.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/591577/British-Pakistanis-13-times-more-disabled-children

This seems an unlikely outcome. I suppose that in a British context the idea seems a little repugnant, given that you are talking about close family members - but at the same time the cultural pressures encouraging such marriages are largely absent. In other cultures there are clearly cultural pressures, and these should be avoided.

You didn't answer the question.
If the couple were aware of their increased risks and decided not to have any biological children together, would you still be opposed? Because if the answer is still yes then you're entire argument about producing disabled children is irrelevant
Original post by RezzBerry
Marriage usually results in children. Said children will be (most likely) disabled. Why would you want that?

That is incorrect .

The issues noted in some communities where cousin marriage is extrememly common are related to the repeated and consistent cousin marriages not to cousin marriage in itself ...
Original post by BaconandSauce
LOL so most people who get married don't have kids

Having children when you know there is a inherent risk because you keep marring your cousin is harming people.

I suspect your issue is because you are from the community where you cousin will also be your husband

and as I said 'icky'

Cousins who get married are probably aware of their increased risk and may decide not to have biological children. Just like couples with disabilities may decide to adopt as opposed to producing their own.

You're wrong. No one in my family is married to their relatives nor have they had kids with relatives so please don't try and make this about me. Personal attacks are always a flaw when debating.

All of you use this whole children argument as if it is essential within a marriage. There are many people who don't want children, and you know full well that even if they decided not to have kids, you'd still be against it.

I have already said that if they don't have children, they aren't harming anyone.
Original post by cherryred90s
Cousins who get married are probably aware of their increased risk and may decide not to have biological children. Just like couples with disabilities may decide to adopt as opposed to producing their own.

You're wrong. No one in my family is married to their relatives nor have they had kids with relatives so please don't try and make this about me. Personal attacks are always a flaw when debating.

All of you use this whole children argument as if it is essential within a marriage. There are many people who don't want children, and you know full well that even if they decided not to have kids, you'd still be against it.

I have already said that if they don't have children, they aren't harming anyone.

Nothing but opinion.

No real facts.

However if you read the links I supplied you can read about the real world and the damage this is doing to children.

Latest

Trending

Trending