The Student Room Group

Sex abuse victim in her 20s allowed to choose euthanisia

"A sex abuse victim in the Netherlands has been been allowed to undergo euthanasia via lethal injection.The unnamed woman in her 20s had suffered sexual abuse from the age of five to 15, according to papers released by the Dutch Euthanasia Commission.

As a result of her abuse, she suffered from post-traumatic-stress disorder (PTSD), severe anorexia, chronic depression and hallucinations, MailOnline reports.

Despite improvements in her mental state after "intensive therapy", Doctors believed her multiple conditions were incurable and two years ago agreed to her wish to end her life."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sex-abuse-victim-in-her-20s-allowed-by-dutch-doctors-to-undergo-euthanasia-due-to-severe-ptsd-a7023666.html
Very weird.
I just do not understand it
Reply 2
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
"A sex abuse victim in the Netherlands has been been allowed to undergo euthanasia via lethal injection.The unnamed woman in her 20s had suffered sexual abuse from the age of five to 15, according to papers released by the Dutch Euthanasia Commission.

As a result of her abuse, she suffered from post-traumatic-stress disorder (PTSD), severe anorexia, chronic depression and hallucinations, MailOnline reports.

Despite improvements in her mental state after "intensive therapy", Doctors believed her multiple conditions were incurable and two years ago agreed to her wish to end her life."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sex-abuse-victim-in-her-20s-allowed-by-dutch-doctors-to-undergo-euthanasia-due-to-severe-ptsd-a7023666.html

Such a shame that this can even occur to someone.
Reply 3
Good.

Though once again another story of how ****ed up humans are. May her soul rest in peace.
Reply 4
Very few people on here could possibly understand the mental impact this crime would have had on her so in my opinion if she feels this is the only way that can give her peace so be it, that being said the person who did should also be euthanized... with a chain saw.
Reply 5
Mannnn.... this is actually so sad. It's better this way than suicide I guess but it's sad that she felt this was her only way out. I'm sure she was given help before this and I guess none of it worked for her.

Damn. RIP lady
Reply 6
Original post by Napp
Very few people on here could possibly understand the mental impact this crime would have had on her so in my opinion if she feels this is the only way that can give her peace so be it, that being said the person who did should also be euthanized... with a chain saw.

don't think you can euthanize someone against their will, sort of defeats the purpose
Reply 7
Original post by Yua
don't think you can euthanize someone against their will, sort of defeats the purpose

what if you were in a coma... cant consent then can ya?
euthanasia definition: the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease or in an irreversible coma.

doesn't say nuffin bout will in there
Reply 8
Original post by Yua

It isn't against her will as far as i can make out?
Reply 9
Original post by Napp
It isn't against her will as far as i can make out?

that being said the person who did should also be euthanized... with a chain saw.

i think they were referring to that ^
She freed herself, poor girl..
Reply 11
Original post by z33
i think they were referring to that ^

mmmm unfortunately that was just added for dramatic effect.
Have to admit I'm kind of uncomfortable with this kind of thing being allowed. While I'm fully supportive of allowing voluntary euthanasia for terminally ill people who know full well that there is nothing but pain ahead for them, this is a girl who really did have a life to live.

I don't want to in any way trivialise or claim I understand what she went through, but I find it hard to believe that the trauma and mental conditions her abuse brought on are so irredeemable that there was no hope of her being able to ever enjoy life again. Elizabeth Fritzl, as a comparison, has apparently managed to live a relatively normal life despite being imprisoned underground and raped by her own father for 24 years.
I'm glad she was able to do this. Bless her, she was obviously really badly implicated by the whole affair.

People should probably educate themselves a little better on the process of being granted the right to die by euthanasia.
What a waste of life man, not becuase she's chosing to end it, but becuase some **** screwed hers up to the point she felt thats the only way to go.
I shouldn't have read this so late at night, I legit feel depressed now :s-smilie:
Original post by anarchism101
Have to admit I'm kind of uncomfortable with this kind of thing being allowed. While I'm fully supportive of allowing voluntary euthanasia for terminally ill people who know full well that there is nothing but pain ahead for them, this is a girl who really did have a life to live.

I don't want to in any way trivialise or claim I understand what she went through, but I find it hard to believe that the trauma and mental conditions her abuse brought on are so irredeemable that there was no hope of her being able to ever enjoy life again. Elizabeth Fritzl, as a comparison, has apparently managed to live a relatively normal life despite being imprisoned underground and raped by her own father for 24 years.

Different individuals handle and cope with abuse differently. Someone like Elizabeth Fritzl might have been able to recover from the psychological effects, but that doesn't mean the same can be said for the woman in the Netherlands.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Different individuals handle and cope with abuse differently. Someone like Elizabeth Fritzl might have been able to recover from the psychological effects, but that doesn't mean the same can be said for the woman in the Netherlands.

I think its all got to do with how a person stores memory this seems to differ a lot from person to person.The abuse she experienced was like torture but because of her PTSD she is constantly being tortured there was no way out for her.

The abusers should get a murder charge it is clear that they murdered her.I hope that this teaches us a lesson about how important mental health is, the mental damage she received was ultimately just as bad as physical damage and she died from her wounds.

I am extremely disappointed at the comments on the story the Labour MP is saying that the victim is punished by being killed but she chose to die noone has been considering that she actually chose to die and that the health professionals had worked with her for years and they still couldn't solve the issues she faced.

The comment from the Disability Rights Group is very arrogant it is simply a fact that sometimes abuse can be utterly incurable as are many mental illnesses that people never recover from.

They want her to suffer from her abuse rather than die and not suffer any longer.With PTSD, she is constantly being abused due to the memories and they wanted this to continue while the doctors had worked for years and said they couldn't do anything to help her and she chose to end her life?

I have always been a big supporter of Euthanasia those who are against simply don't understand what those with severe emotional trauma/severe pain from terminal illnesses go through it generally shows a complete lack of empathy to not only their situation but also shows a lack of respect of their choice to end their own life, a person shouldn't have to live because other people say so that life is hers and noone elses.

Quick Reply

Latest