Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Trigger
we can be biology losers together *high five*

:five:
Reply 21
w00p
Floozie
Doing a degree will not make you less employable. Degree and diploma students do the exact amount of clinical practice hours. So I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that I'll need more 'support' because I'm doing a degree

sheer experience , particularly where there are differences in course design, including prolonged periods of 2 days a week in uni and 2 days a week on placement for degree students rather than block structure for diploma ...

realistically even if the ocurse design is similar it will not give you any great advantage and the greater academic load may create further issues for you.
Reply 23
But others unis use block for the degree
Reply 24
Triplet1
I did biology and got an E at AS so dropped it :biggrin: :redface:

Me tooo
zippyRN
sheer experience , particularly where there are differences in course design, including prolonged periods of 2 days a week in uni and 2 days a week on placement for degree students rather than block structure for diploma ...

realistically even if the ocurse design is similar it will not give you any great advantage and the greater academic load may create further issues for you.

all uni's are different, at brookes the structure is the same for both dip and deg students, with 2/3 days in lectures and 2 in placement a week, the only difference over the whole 3 years being the dissertation for deg students, the bursary for diploma students, and the slightly different qualification at the end of it.
smilee172
...the bursary for diploma students,...

So do degree students not get a bursary then? I seem to remember physio/audio degree students getting an NHS bursary so I would have thought it would be the same for nurses?
Reply 27
Degree Nursing students get a busary and a loan

small nhs busary from the nhs and a loan from the SLC (Student Loans Company)
Clarence
Degree Nursing students get a busary and a loan

small nhs busary from the nhs and a loan from the SLC (Student Loans Company)

Oh ok. How is this different from the diploma bursary? (sorry if this sounds like a silly question!)
Reply 29
Diploma students get a non-means tested bursary, so all bursary students get the same amount a year, I believe it is something like £6000. They cannot apply for a loan

Degree students get a means tested bursary, tested on parental income, think the max is something like £3500. You can apply for a loan but it automatically get cut in half because you are getting a 'bursary', I get £1650 a year in loan. However I am not personally eligible for a bursary, but I still only get half the avaliable loan!

The whole thing is messed up. Basically you get screwed over for doing a degree. I wouldn't advise it unless you know you'll be able to cope financially
Reply 30
i do the diploma for the reasons youve just put up there. Once you are qualified it doenst matter if you have one or the other.
Reply 31
Plus you don't have a dissertation to write!
Reply 32
Yeh but I'm going to be bachelor of science! Woop Woop!
Reply 33
...then what :s-smilie: id rather have no student debt thanks :wink:
I've done the degree and we didn't have to write a dissertation :confused:
Reply 35
we have to, maybe it depends on the uni?
I would be very suprised at any HEI allowed to award a Honours degree without a dissertation / thesis or substantially equivalent 10 -12 or more thousand word piece of work
Well we really haven't done one, and I doubt they're going to spring it on us now. We've done three 5000 word assignments over the year though. I guess that's instead of a dissertation.

Latest