The Student Room Group

RAF P2 Medical - Peak Flow Test

Hi,

I am a serving Airman, currently going through the P2 process to become an Engineering (CE) Officer.

I have a medical next Thursday and I am a bit nervous about the outcome of my peak flow readings. I bought a meter yesterday and the highest I'm getting is around the 470 l/min mark. At 27 years old and approx 175cm I should be getting around 620 l/min. I have read that there is limit of no lower than 80% (496 l/min), but I am still failing to achieve this.

I have no history of respiratory problems (both before and since joining the military) and I am a fit guy - never achieving any less than light blue phys test and a keen runner/gym goer.

How strict is this criteria?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd guess you're a Techie Trade of some sort.

Do you think that you bought an accurate, calibrated piece of medical equipment? Probably not. Do the test, see what it says. It's not like you can not do it or that worrying about it will change the result.
Reply 2
Original post by ProStacker
I'd guess you're a Techie Trade of some sort.

Do you think that you bought an accurate, calibrated piece of medical equipment? Probably not. Do the test, see what it says. It's not like you can not do it or that worrying about it will change the result.

I bought it from a Lloyds Pharmacy; I'd like to think it's calibrated, but you never know.

You're right. I guess I just wanted some reassurance that it's not necessarily the end of the road.

Thanks for your reply.
Well if you're training and you're fit, there isn't much else you can do to prep for a medical. Just breathe in as deep as you can and force that air out as hard as you can!

Quick Reply

Latest