Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

WJEC English Literature Unseen Poetry

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I'm doing WJEC for my English Lit GCSE, and am struggling with the poetry aspect of it. I'm doing English Literature for A Level, and really need to get a high grade. If anyone has any tips (especially for how to structure the answer) they would be much appreciated. Thanks

I am also doing WJEC GCSE English lit. Unseen poetry is on the 23rd right??

Anyways, the acronym I am going to tell you now can also be used in your extract question for the texts you have studied. Tanks to my English teacher!!

S - structure - why is the poem strcutured in this particular way? 4 seasons 4 stanzas? Stanzas gettign smaller meaning life is closing to its end?
    P - position - more of your extract question on your texts you have studied so don't worry
    L - language - analyse specific words and explain what they mean and link it to their authorial intention
    I - imagery - what images does the poet use to convey their ideas?
    T - themes - what are some reoccurring themes: loneliness, isolation, racism?

C - context - this is hard for poetry if you don't know anything about the poet but don't worry. Again, this is more for your extract question on your texts you have studied
    A - authorial intention - what are they trying to get at?
    T - techniques - do they use any metaphors, similes, iambic pentameters?

Before you start writing in the exam, write down SPLIT CAT and ensure you use the words in the split cat acronym. To achieve top makr sin poetry, you also need to speculate I think. So you say 'This could mean...' or 'I think this means that because...'

I guess use PEEEL paragraphs maybe if you have the time and speediness to.

P - point
    E - evidence
    E - explain
    E - expand
    L - lin to the context or authorial intention

Btw I got a D in my mock so I really hope to boost this back up to an A (my prediction )

i would cover, ''reading between the lines'' ''how language affects the reader'' ''technique by the poet? (dont purposely look for a technique to cross off your list, only look for one if it's obvious) '' '' why did they write this poem''

tbh i'm not amazing at literature, especially analysing poems and i was even stumped on my unit 1 exam on the poem section (2015 wjec), my analysation was sooooo bad, the linking section was 5 lines because i ran out of time, i didnt even know what the poem meant but just wrote down a load of bs. but i came out with full ums. i either had an amazing examiner or i was writing things my brain wasnt aware of xD

my teacher told me use A Smile to analyse the poetry.

A-about, what is the poem about suggest the identity of the poem and refer to the title and its significance.
    S- structure, how is the poem set out equal lines in each stanza, does the poet use caesura, or in random order what does this specify.
    M-mood and atmosphere, what is the mood of the poem sad happy lively and what effect does this have.
    I- ideas, what ideas does the poem create and here you can add a personal approach which is specified in the mark scheme, how does the poem make you feel or think.
    L-language, what sort of techniques does the poet use and what effect does it have.
    E-effect, what effect does the poem have on you personally and in a general way.

You should spend up to 20 minutes analyzing the first poem going through this list and do a paragraph for each except the last two language and effect you could incorporate into one paragraph, just to move on quickly as half the marks are for your comparison of the two poems.
    for the next 37 minutes go through this list with the second poem incorporating in every paragraph a comparison or a difference you should go into fine detail here as this should be your bulk.
    give yourself three minutes to check over no matter how much ground of the analysis you've covered end it at that time and look through your work you're guaranteed to find big mistakes.

Brandon T??? Set 2 english Mr. McCarthy???
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.