The Student Room Group

Camping trip with boyfriend...

My boyfriend has invited me on a camping trip in the summer with his friends. It is not on a campsite so there will be no toilets etc and there will be alcohol. I'm nervous about the toilet situation, do I go on my own, with my boyfriend or with another girl (assuming other girls are coming)? Any personal experience and tips would be appreciated.

Also, what do I take? So far I've decided on chewing gum, bottled water, a change of clothes and wipes.
lol @ chewing gum
Reply 2
Original post by gr8wizard10
lol @ chewing gum

It may seem scruffy but when there isn't running water I can't really brush my teeth
Original post by maisieaa
It may seem scruffy but when there isn't running water I can't really brush my teeth

You can brush your teeth using bottled water.

Dry shampoo would be a good thing to take depending on how long you are going and how quickly your hair gets greasy.

Be sure to take some appropriate clothing, you don't want your nice clothes and shoes getting ruined if it's muddy. ]

And obviously you'll need suitable sleeping stuff. It may be hot during the day but it can get really cold at night in a tent, so I recommend wearing thermal pjs.

Other than that don't forget food, and food that lasts for a few days without a fridge and can be cooked easily with use of whatever is around you, or food that doesn't need to be cooked at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Camping in a decent rural location - a forest park or the like - where there are some facilities, is better particularly if it is a piss up trip. I've dove a bit of camping in the fields and mountains and of course the toilet for girls will be about squatting behind a bush. Perhaps a bit of an adventure as long as it's not for more than two nights!
Reply 5
Original post by SophieSmall
You can brush your teeth using bottled water.

Dry shampoo would be a good thing to take depending on how long you are going and how quickly your hair gets greasy.

Be sure to take some appropriate clothing, you don't want your nice clothes and shoes getting ruined if it's muddy. ]

And obviously you'll need suitable sleeping stuff. It may be hot during the day but it can get really cold at night in a tent, so I recommend wearing thermal pjs.

Other than that don't forget food, and food that lasts for a few days without a fridge and can be cooked easily with use of whatever is around you, or food that doesn't need to be cooked at all.

Great help, thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
Camping in a decent rural location - a forest park or the like - where there are some facilities, is better particularly if it is a piss up trip. I've dove a bit of camping in the fields and mountains and of course the toilet for girls will be about squatting behind a bush. Perhaps a bit of an adventure as long as it's not for more than two nights!

Luckily it is only 1 night :smile:
bottled water to brush teeth as someone else said

take a roll of toilet paper and some hand sanitiser and go behind a bush, I don't know why you'd take someone with you, you're not going to get eaten by a bear... just go far enough from camp that you can't be seen and so that you're not right next to someone's tent and have a wee
I recommend not bringing too many useless things (such as your whole makeup collection etc) as I tend to make this mistake way too many times.

The essentials would be a tent, sleeping bag,blankets, blow up mattress(if needed), clothes and toilet roll. It might be a good idea to bring extra socks too if you're likely to get wet and muddy.

Other things you could bring is phone/camera/ipod, portable charger (this is VERY important) ,hairbrush , minimal makeup (if you'd like),mini speakers could be a good idea if you get bored.

As for food having one of them mini portable bbq are always great when camping.

Hope this helped, have a good trip (⊙ヮ⊙)
You can always dig a hole and squat.
Reply 10
Original post by doodle_333
bottled water to brush teeth as someone else said

take a roll of toilet paper and some hand sanitiser and go behind a bush, I don't know why you'd take someone with you, you're not going to get eaten by a bear... just go far enough from camp that you can't be seen and so that you're not right next to someone's tent and have a wee

Good ideas, thanks. I have never been diagnosed but think I have anxiety, so going to some bushes on my own may way trigger thoughts that someone is watching me or is going to jump out and harm me. But in hindsight the girls (assuming there will be other girls) may find it a bit strange if I go pee with them. I will have to work out a personal plan of action :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by strawburry222
I recommend not bringing too many useless things (such as your whole makeup collection etc) as I tend to make this mistake way too many times.

The essentials would be a tent, sleeping bag,blankets, blow up mattress(if needed), clothes and toilet roll. It might be a good idea to bring extra socks too if you're likely to get wet and muddy.

Other things you could bring is phone/camera/ipod, portable charger (this is VERY important) ,hairbrush , minimal makeup (if you'd like),mini speakers could be a good idea if you get bored.

As for food having one of them mini portable bbq are always great when camping.

Hope this helped, have a good trip (⊙ヮ⊙)

It has helped. Thank you :smile:
It has helped. Thank you :smile:

Beware the Gympie Gympie leaves if you go to the toilet and need to wipe ...
Good ideas, thanks. I have never been diagnosed but think I have anxiety, so going to some bushes on my own may way trigger thoughts that someone is watching me or is going to jump out and harm me. But in hindsight the girls (assuming there will be other girls) may find it a bit strange if I go pee with them. I will have to work out a personal plan of action :smile:

if you know them it might not be too weird, also if you're drinking you may get away with it as people get overly friendly when drunk

honestly though I'd try and pee alone, no one is going to be in the middle of nowhere trying to get you and you don't have to be far from camp or out of shouting distance... literally just not right next to a tent
Reply 14
Original post by doodle_333
if you know them it might not be too weird, also if you're drinking you may get away with it as people get overly friendly when drunk

honestly though I'd try and pee alone, no one is going to be in the middle of nowhere trying to get you and you don't have to be far from camp or out of shouting distance... literally just not right next to a tent

Vey true. I need to learn to think rationally. Thank you

Quick Reply