The Student Room Group

History exam timing

So basically next Wednesday I have my first history exam. Three weeks ago one of history teachers got pneumonia and hasn't been since (doesn't like he'll be in before next week). Its an AS exam with WJEC and I know we have to do two 30 mark essay's in 1hr 45min. Can anybody suggest how much I should write on each question in terms of quantity. thanks
im also studying AS history although through the CCEA exam board, eh, i would say roughly write about 2 and a half pages minimum per question although depending on how good your quality and contextual information is its more quality over quantity!
If they are worth equal marks then common sense says equal time.

I would do
5 mins to read paper

So thats 50 mins an essay. Id spend 5-10 mins planning. So that would be 35-40 mins writing the essay and if you have 5 mins to check.
Same for the other. You need to keep checking progress v time to make sure you maintain the correct pace.
You write as much as you need to within that time frame. thats why practice makes perfect.
Original post by wjrichards99
So basically next Wednesday I have my first history exam. Three weeks ago one of history teachers got pneumonia and hasn't been since (doesn't like he'll be in before next week). Its an AS exam with WJEC and I know we have to do two 30 mark essay's in 1hr 45min. Can anybody suggest how much I should write on each question in terms of quantity. thanks

Well you should write your introduction then about 3/4 paragraph points on either side of your argument and then your conclusion. That probably makes up about 4 sides of A4 paper :biggrin:
another thing, why was this posted in the Gov. and politics section? would the history section not be more adequate?
Original post by connormc199
another thing, why was this posted in the Gov. and politics section? would the history section not be more adequate?

It was posted in the A-level section. I think you are getting confused because my name is Govt. and Politics, maybe? :biggrin:
Original post by govtandpolitics
It was posted in the A-level section. I think you are getting confused because my name is Govt. and Politics, maybe? :biggrin:

my apologies! yeah I mistook your name for the thread location
Original post by connormc199
my apologies! yeah I mistook your name for the thread location

Haha it's okay :biggrin:
Original post by 999tigger
If they are worth equal marks then common sense says equal time.

I would do
5 mins to read paper

So thats 50 mins an essay. Id spend 5-10 mins planning. So that would be 35-40 mins writing the essay and if you have 5 mins to check.
Same for the other. You need to keep checking progress v time to make sure you maintain the correct pace.
You write as much as you need to within that time frame. thats why practice makes perfect.

thanks for all the advice! i tried to stick to it, but it turned out it was 1hr and 30mins which wasn't enough for me at all !!! it was a nice paper today but i'm not very confident

Quick Reply

Latest