Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Somebody help me

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Perfectionism has been a crux all throughout my life. And now, less than a week before my GCSEs, it's finally taken its toll on me and I'm just fed up; I simply don't care any more.

I was working 7 hours a day on weekdays and 13 hours a day on weekends in preparation for the exams. Though this 'preparation' for the exams has largely constituted very pretty, detailed flash cards; I haven't actually attempted to attribute any of it to memory; I was just too concerned with how 'perfect' everything looked. It's only now that I've realised I've screwed up and that has made me only more miserable. I literally can't move or think clearly because I'm so depressed. This is made even worse by the fact I'm predicted A*s in most subjects and I simply can't come to terms with the fact that my nearly perfect coursework portfolio and consistently strong test performance will all be for nothing. My teachers - who hold me in such high regard - will probably be genuinely shocked by how terribly I'm going to do.

That's probably the worst part: the burden of expectations from friends, family and the school are sickeningly oppressive.

In some ways, I'm glad that the exams have put a stop to my unsustainable work habits. Everything I've ever aspired to: Cambridge uni and being a barrister are all collapsing away into nothing and I'm absolutely terrified about what's going to happen.

You freaked out, worked too hard and burned out. Working 13 hours a day can do that to you. It happens, and it happens to a lot of people. Just look around this website, every other day there's someone starting a thread because "**** i cant remember anything its all gone im going to fail!" but come on, have some self awareness. Stop worrying about how disappointed everyone else will be because a) they aren't sitting the exam and b) you're not going to disappoint them.

Look at your coursework grades, they're already an A*. That means less pressure. Look at your mock grades, compare how much you revised for your mock with how much you've already revised for the real thing. Fun fact, the amount you were working was actually against EU law. Actually you were 16 hours over the limit. Does that put things into perspective for you?

Things aren't over yet. You haven't even sat the exam yet and you're already writing yourself off? What happened to the determination that let you work for 13 hours straight? You need some balance, and granted you haven't got it yet but it will come eventually. You haven't actually done anything wrong. This is all in your head and that means you can fix it.

Take a day off. Stop being a revision hermit and go do something fun. Just chill.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.