The Student Room Group

What was your favourite moment from old Top Gear?

Scroll to see replies

Tonight's episode was a little rough around the edges but I do see potential in it. LeBlanc was actually rather good and so was Sabine Schmitz. Evans, on the other hand, was a little too shouty and created some dissonance.

I really hope that the show gets a chance to find itself but I feel that the relentless hordes of die-hard Clarkson fans will put a stop to that.
Reply 41
Well it wasn't all bad, there were a few good moments, the chase scene with Sabine was all right, the Ariel Nomad in Morocco was pretty good, Matt LeBlanc was okay. But Chris Evans, oh my word, his shouty, overly eager presenting style is dreadful, it's like he thinks he thinks he's hilarious, but he just comes off as trying too hard and extremely irritating and unfunny. And the audience interaction, particularly with the stars in a reasonably priced car segment, was pretty cringeworthy. Then again, I'm a bit biased as I've never liked him, I can't stand his voice :lol:

Pretty much as I expected it would be, not the worst thing I've ever watched, but even going into it trying not to compare it to the old top gear (which is obviously difficult), it's unlikely to be something I look forward to watching every week and Chris Evans has to be told to tone it down and get his head out of his own a*se. Or just get rid of him all together. The lack of chemistry between LeBlanc and Evans isn't great either, one of the best things about those three was the banter and the dynamic between the three. But the interaction between LeBlanc and Evans just seems a bit forced and I wonder whether there was any truth in the rumours a few months ago about a bust up between the two.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42
So as expected; the show was fine and did the expected job of feeling slightly jarring without the main group and a strange sort of poor homage.

The main thing that was expected was Chris Evans going out of his way to ruin everything for everyone by being loud, obnoxious and a grandiose piece of nobcheese.
I found Matt Leblanc a little dull. What I mean by that is firstly he sounds incredibly monotone during the voice overs, but his reactions to the things chris Evans says feel forced. There is certainly a lack of chemistry there and Chris comes across as overly enthusiastic and he tries too hard to create banter with Leblanc.

I thought Chris Evans' review of the cars ie when he drove them at the start was too similar to the way Jeremy did it, but worse. He tried to copy Jeremy's presenting style there by shouting in the car and as it accelerated etc.

The three wheeled car segment was supposed to be the funny bit, the part they added to try and recreate the humour that old top gear was famous for.
I thought the idea of driving the cars to Blackpool was OK. But I didn't find it funny, there was no real humour and banter between the presenters and I almost feel that Matts car was purposely made to break down several times because again, that is what happened on old top gear. I wouldn't have been surprised if Chris Evans had announced he was "going to just drive away" and leave Leblanc to fiddle with the engine in true top gear style.

I thought the challenges in Blackpool were poor. Seeing who's could go faster down that stretch of the beach was not exciting at all. Getting the mayor or whoever it was involved was again a poor attempt to create comedy. The tug of war was destined to fail given the fact you have two fairly heavy cars on sand.

The worst part was possibly the star in the rally cross car. I don't know why he got that Jessie bloke to come on WITH Gordon Ramsey? The two are unrelated and usually the only time two people come on is once in a blue moon and if they both have the same job like two news presenters or Cameron Diaz and Tom cruise because they have done films together. Perhaps new top gear couldn't have one star as it would mean Chris Evans would have to find more interesting things to talk about to that individual and we know now that is a struggle. The audience cheering (clearly forced by Chris swearing at them before the cameras started rolling) was bad. No one cares who had the better first car?

Overall it was in my opinion not good. I found about 2% of it mildly amusing but I don't know if that was genuine amusement of just me laughing at the awkwardness of what I have just watched.
What!! Didn't know it was on today
Reply 45
I had to turn the new episode off because Chris Evans was too annoying!! Matt LeBlanc was actually quite funny but my god Chris was NOT

The best of the specials has always been Vietnam imo it's just brilliant
Reply 46
Just watching the reasonably priced car bit and why can't Chris Evans shut the **** up. He's worse than a 5 year old on amphetamines.
Reply 47
Amphibious cars
Reply 48
Original post by Platopus
I loved the Botswana special because Richard was so sweet naming his car Oliver

In case you do not know, Oliver came back to the UK and was restored, there was an article in Practical Classics featuring Oliver.
Top Gear in general peaked around 2005-07 (series 6-11).
No.1 has to be them getting chased by rednecks in Alabama.

Crossing the channel their amphibious cars not too far behind.
(edited 7 years ago)
Jeremy on a motorbike in Vietnam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So many that I just can't choose.

Any of the ones where I end up laughing tbh are good, Clarkson's classic hysterical laugh is brilliant!

I MISS YOU TOP GEAR :frown:
Original post by DJKL
In case you do not know, Oliver came back to the UK and was restored, there was an article in Practical Classics featuring Oliver.

Yes, I did thanks! And he since appeared in another episode of the show too :smile:
Reply 54
I watched the new ep and I do agree with what most people are saying, Matt is likeable and Chris ruined the show. He was like a child trying too hard to impress the cool kid on campus I thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So many choices...

Anytime they created a horrible monstrosity from the depths of the seventeenth dimension of hell, I mean, a completely new vehicle. One of the most memorable ones for me was the electric car with the intention of being better than the G-Wiz, specifically when they put it through the crash and pendulum tests. Jeremy's P45 was also quite good. And who could forget the Grannymobile's safety mechanism?

Spoiler

The Races, Challenges and Overseas Specials are also pretty good. To be honest, all these things are the only reason why I watch the show - I still watch the reruns on Dave sometimes.
Reply 56
I watched an old episode of Top Gear last night and Chris Evans was the star in the reasonably priced car and Jeremy asked if Chris was nervous about starting his new radio job and Chris said "no, its my job. Are you nervous here?" and Jeremy laughed and said "no, this is my job too" and who would have known 10 years later from that episode, he of all people would have Jeremy's job. Even in that episode, he wasn't very likable and he was just a guest.
Reply 57
Just read that Chris Evans has resigned from Top Gear. Can't say I didn't see that coming

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest