Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Does anyone else feel awful because...

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Does anyone else feel awful because they went to a university lower ranked than they were capable of? I had the grades for any university in my country but went to my local one, which is ranked from 130 to 160 in the world, I think.

Even though I have lmao0debt I feel like it was such a ****ing waste of time. Compared to the best universities, the courses covered much less content (to give a slight indication, it barely touched linear algebra (eigenwhat?), vector calculus (what do dev, grad, and curl mean?), and no doubt other stuff). I once heard a girl say that only weird people went to the library (i.e. the university is filled with people who wouldn't have gone to uni 30 years ago). I would literally rather be surrounded by people from Eton instead of this (not that I dislike posh people but I'd rather be with smart people I have nothing else in common with than regular people).

My degree was also a waste of time because even though it was a "respected" STEM degree, I realised that all undergrad degrees except for mathematics or physics are a huge waste of time. An engineering degree is just basic maths and physics courses along with engineering stamp collecting bull**** I.e. brain-dead corporate cuckoldry training. How embarrassing. This makes me look worse than humanities majors. Engineering majors are intellectually superfluous and corporate cucks. Humanities / arts people are only the first one. I remember that people would wear formal shirts and trousers when giving presentations and I found it ****ing awful. How can people see this as anything but cuckworthy?

Also I went to university in not-England and did an integrated masters (common for engineering) which means my degree which meant my degree was 5 years!!!!!!!!!! Holy Jesus, people who went to university at the same time as me could be one year in to PhD stuff right now while my potential was flushed down the ****ing toilet.

I'm at a university ranked higher than what I'm capable of, if anything. I feel like one of the dumbest/least well educated people here (even though I went to an alright school).

Even though you're clearly trolling, getting into a university ranked 130 to 160 in the world is NOT something to mope about. Most people would still kill for that. Saying that all degrees except maths and physics are a waste of time is also ridiculous. So you're saying around 99% of all students are wasting their time? Quick, let's tell them!

i go to the university of bolton, defo would recommend made lots of friends

I think your situation wasn't as bad as you think.

If your ability is higher than most of your course mates then this means you are likely to achieve the top grade (First - top 10%). In a highly ranked university, you would be competing amongst others with high ability which could've compromised your degree class. I know the point of education is to challenge yourself and to learn, but there are certain tactics you must consider, and balance between the level of competition and the end result.

Also you might be surprised to know that Engineering students enjoy one of the highest starting salaries of all subject fields. It is also widely recognised as one of the hardest but most versatile degrees to do at University.

Why didn't you downgrade your course to a 3-year BEng and do your masters at a higher-ranked University?

Where do you want this road to end? My parents feel I should have gone to Oxbridge. Great, so what if I had? Should I next start to feel guilty for not getting the job/salary that I then ought to following graduation? Shouldn't I be further up the career ladder by now?

Shouldn't I also be a better musician than I am? Better linguist? Runner?

Just relax and don't start living with regrets now. There'll be plenty of time for that later if you really wanna waste your mental and emotional energy doing that
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.