The Student Room Group

iGCSE biology edexcel May 17th predictions

Scroll to see replies

Is reading a revison guide over and over again a effective way of revising?
[QUOTE=waleed29;64786189]Is reading a revison guide over and over again a effective way of revising? hahaha!!! no !!! it mostly depend s on ur understanding
Reply 82
my bio teacher said either something about human or plant reproduction is bound to come up... so study reproduction just in case
how does ur bio teacher know???:confused::curious:
Reply 84
Original post by hamza.sheikh
Hello! Can you tell me what are the things we are supposed to know about the structure of the urinary system, the nephrons and about ultrafiltration? I'm having a feeling that this is gonna come up. Btw can menstrual cycle come?

You need to know 1. how to label the urinary system and 2. what exactly happens in the nephron. Basically a summary is that ultrafiltration happens in the bowman's capsule. ultrafiltration is when different molecules are being filtered under pressure. the bowman's capsule will filter out SMALL MOLECULES such as urea and water, however, it RETAINS larger molecules such as proteins and glucose. Selective reabsorption happens in the first & second coiled tubes. This is when the nephron reabsorbs products such as water etc. from the urine back into the blood. don't forget to study ADH. ADH is made in the pituatary gland and is released when the body doesn't have much water. ADH concentrates the urine and makes the collecting ducts more permeable to water so that water is saved in the body. The more dehydrated u are, the more ADH will be released in order to save water in ur body. Thats a basic summary of what the usual questions are about. And yes the menstrual cycle can come up :smile:
Hope this helped in any way.
Reply 85
Original post by shahida sulaiman
how does ur bio teacher know???:confused::curious:

they basically look at all the past papers & look at the patterns and make predictions about what can come up :\
[QUOTE=gameofno;64788203]they basically look at all the past papers & look at the patterns and make predictions about what can come up :\

oh ok then thanx fr explaining the urinary system !!!!:smile:
Reply 87
no problem :biggrin:!
[QUOTE=gameofno;64788271]no problem :biggrin:! wait did u copy paste that from some where or it was just ur mind :curious::grin:
Reply 89
wait did u copy paste that from some where or it was just ur mind :curious::grin:

hahaha just my mind.. ive been revising since last year for sciences + maths i even studied in summer :smile:
[QUOTE=gameofno;64788351]hahaha just my mind.. ive been revising since last year for sciences + maths i even studied in summer :smile: then u r lucky i wish i could borrow ur brain !!! lol!!!:biggrin:
Reply 91
:biggrin::biggrin: thank you :smile:
ur welcome!!!!:wink:
i also wanted to ask if u can explain carbon and nitrogen cycle in an easy way !!!!!!!!:frown:
Reply 94
Original post by gameofno
You need to know 1. how to label the urinary system and 2. what exactly happens in the nephron. Basically a summary is that ultrafiltration happens in the bowman's capsule. ultrafiltration is when different molecules are being filtered under pressure. the bowman's capsule will filter out SMALL MOLECULES such as urea and water, however, it RETAINS larger molecules such as proteins and glucose. Selective reabsorption happens in the first & second coiled tubes. This is when the nephron reabsorbs products such as water etc. from the urine back into the blood. don't forget to study ADH. ADH is made in the pituatary gland and is released when the body doesn't have much water. ADH concentrates the urine and makes the collecting ducts more permeable to water so that water is saved in the body. The more dehydrated u are, the more ADH will be released in order to save water in ur body. Thats a basic summary of what the usual questions are about. And yes the menstrual cycle can come up :smile:
Hope this helped in any way.

Glucose is a small molecule and goes into the bowman 's capsule from the glomerulus. It is during selective reabsorption that it goes back into the blood.
Reply 95
Original post by TheCe
Glucose is a small molecule and goes into the bowman 's capsule from the glomerulus. It is during selective reabsorption that it goes back into the blood.

ohh i didnt know that. thank you x
[QUOTE=TheCe;64788623]Glucose is a small molecule and goes into the bowman 's capsule from the glomerulus. It is during selective reabsorption that it goes back into the blood. ok!!! now i m getting confused :frown:
Reply 97
Original post by gameofno
ohh i didnt know that. thank you x

Anytime mate :smile:

ok!!! now i m getting confused :frown:

What part confuses you?
Reply 98
ok!!! now i m getting confused :frown:

its basically just that glucose also gets filtered in the bowmans capsule & then in the coiled tubes the body reabsorbs it back in xx
ok thanx

Quick Reply

Latest