The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Goodricke vs Halifax

Don't know which of these colleges to put higher in my preferences. I'm concerned about both of them being a bit "closed off", Goodricke in terms of it being on Hes East, Halifax in terms of how it seems like more of a really quiet village that has little to do with the rest of the uni. Basically what I'm asking is what's the general vibe like in these colleges? In terms of college and uni-as-a-whole community/spirit.

Also, while they're both a bit out of the way, is Goodricke much more of a pain to get around campus than Halifax? Given the long distance and having to get the bus (also bearing in mind I'm doing psychology - on the far west side of campus)
Reply 1
Hi!
This isn't entirely relevant to your questions but i'm also doing psych at york! I personally never looked at any of the Hes East accommodation on any of the open days but I still put Goodricke as my first choice.. The distance to the psychology building doesn't seem to bother me too much (well, it might when I get there). :h:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by ekb138
Hi!
This isn't entirely relevant to your questions but i'm also doing psych at york! I personally never looked at any of the Hes East accommodation on any of the open days but I still put Goodricke as my first choice.. The distance to the psychology building doesn't seem to bother me too much (well, it might when I get there). :h:

I didn't look at any either, my mum was already getting annoyed at having to look round the whole of Hes West :tongue: It might bother us at first but to be fair we'll get used to it either way! Plus the actual accommodation seems higher quality on Hes East. Either will be fine tbh as long as I have somewhere to live.... which will hopefully happen lol
Reply 3
Hey, I'm currently living in Halifax, so I may be able to shed some light on that situation. Walking from Halifax to campus only takes 5-10 minutes (plus 5 to get to Psychology), whilst Hes East to campus is 10-15 mins (plus 5). Both have a bus going to and from campus, but the bus makes little difference in time from Halifax, and a lot of people cycle to and from Hes East.
As for community stuff, I've no idea what Goodricke is like, but from my experience, Halifax doesn't have much, less than the colleges on the main campus.
I think a bigger thing to consider is the type of accommodation you want, prices, catered or not etc. Just remember that both colleges are closer to campus than school was, and chances are that in the following years, you will live further from campus too

Quick Reply