The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Postgraduate Accommodation?

Hi All.

What is the situation with postgraduate accommodation?

Am I right in assuming that all of the university accommodation will be reserved for foreign students and / or undergraduates? If not which ones are for post grads?

Assuming they are what areas do people live in? How do people find suitable people to live with, is there a facebook group or something? I've lived in flat shares in London with randoms before and mostly hated it, really afraid of ending up living with a bunch of ****s. My undergraduate university had a service at the SU to help people find private accommodation, is there anything similar at UCL/UOL?

I'm going to be doing the MArch Architecture course and would love to live with fellow architecture students, but any other like-minded post-grads would be good.

Thanks.
1) Yes most of halls are for undergrad. There are no postgrad specific ones
2) Most people live in Camden, Euston and Holloway
3) Use spareroom.co.uk to find flatmates/houses. UCL doesn't really help with accommodation that isn't halls
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Noodlzzz
1) Yes most of halls are for undergrad. There are no postgrad specific ones
2) Most people live in Camden, Euston and Holloway
3) Use spareroom.co.uk to find flatmates/houses. UCL doesn't really help with accommodation that isn't halls

I've been trying Spare Room, doesn't seem too heavily populated with UCL students starting in September, is it too early or have I missed the boat?

Also, if there are no post-grad only halls, are there any which are predominantly post-grads?
Reply 3
As far as I can tell the postgrad Uni halls are reserved for international students like you said :frown:

I've been looking at private halls, but these are pretty expensive as well! I don't really know how we're meant to find suitable flat mates - there is the Student flat sharing message board on the University of London Housing Services website, but as far as I can tell there's only one other guy from UCL on it :/

I wish I could say I'm going to be studying architecture as well... but I'm not :frown: I'm going to be doing a 1 year MSc in Earth Science (if I can get accommodation sorted in time, that is!)
Reply 4
Original post by jamestm
As far as I can tell the postgrad Uni halls are reserved for international students like you said :frown:

I've been looking at private halls, but these are pretty expensive as well! I don't really know how we're meant to find suitable flat mates - there is the Student flat sharing message board on the University of London Housing Services website, but as far as I can tell there's only one other guy from UCL on it :/

I wish I could say I'm going to be studying architecture as well... but I'm not :frown: I'm going to be doing a 1 year MSc in Earth Science (if I can get accommodation sorted in time, that is!)

Alright mate,

Appreciate this thread died a couple of weeks ago but was just wondering if you've made any progress on looking about for accommodation? I'm just starting to look into it for starting an MA in September, slightly clueless on how to approach anything!
Reply 5
Original post by TheThe
Alright mate,

Appreciate this thread died a couple of weeks ago but was just wondering if you've made any progress on looking about for accommodation? I'm just starting to look into it for starting an MA in September, slightly clueless on how to approach anything!

Hi!

I'm looking at halls again at the moment - there are certain ones that UCL postgrads can apply for on the 'University of London intercollegiate Halls' website.

There are also private postgrad halls - just Google it and do a bit of rummaging!

The University of London Housings website is also pretty decent and if you email them just saying you're stuck they're pretty helpful too! If you want (and if it's allowed, of course :wink: ) I can just forward you the email they sent me?
Reply 6
Original post by TheThe
Alright mate,

Hi,

Did you manage to get anywhere? I also have no idea where to start with this. Starting a PGCE in September and looking to find somewhere to live which isn't going to cost a bomb.

Thanks
I'll be a postgrad as well, currently searching for a room (affordable room, that is). I've been checking spareroom daily for the past few weeks, no luck so far. Maybe the chances get higher with Aug/Sept approaching and students (hopefully) leaving their private accommodation within reach of UCL.
Reply 8
Original post by bitterblue
I'll be a postgrad as well, currently searching for a room (affordable room, that is). I've been checking spareroom daily for the past few weeks, no luck so far. Maybe the chances get higher with Aug/Sept approaching and students (hopefully) leaving their private accommodation within reach of UCL.

Ah ok, fair. I put an ad on spareroom a couple of days ago looking for a room/buddy up but so far nothing has really come up. Fingers crossed eh!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending