Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Proving language credentials to use as a career

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Do I need a degree in the subject to use my knowledge for a career?

    Do most employers for languages use tests or is the degree really vital?

    I have an A at A-level in my target language, have lived in the country and worked on a retail level for 6 months using it. I have references from this which do not outline my linguistic skills but rather my working ability.

    Is this for MFL? if so most of the answers are online for your question. You should have two languages (but one can be done through an SKE if the like you!), and the main one should be at degree level and the other at A Level standard. To be honest you can probably say you lived in the country to help your application.

    It might be different if you have a degree in general any way.

    You should probably just email them and explain your situation - thats what I'm doing

    are you applying for 2017 entry?

    orrrr do you mean as a general job not for teaching???
    You can search for exams in the UK (that rate against the EU Standards A1-C2)
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.