The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tfw you're not photogenic and look fat in photos
Original post by Serine Soul
Tfw you're not photogenic and look fat in photos

R u high.
Its only 12 atleast wait till like 5/6 ish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
R u high.
Its only 12 atleast wait till like 5/6 ish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm insecure 24/7 mate
(edited 7 years ago)
When I miss my offer, if I send Newnham my year 7 report will they accept me?

_20160805_125102.jpg

2A in French Autumn term - don't judge
(edited 7 years ago)

_20160805_125102.jpg

Lol I wont if i send any report from gcse's or a level.
We had levels 1-4 for behaviour and 4 being the worst i got 4s in all of them except in maths cuz i got decent grades i got 3s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We had levels 1-4 for behaviour and 4 being the worst i got 4s in all of them except in maths cuz i got decent grades i got 3s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

Smh why weren't you like me, all 1s, goody two shoes?

Tbh I used to low key mess around, and teachers never believed my mates when they said I did something bad. All the blame went to the class clowns lol

_20160805_125102.jpg

Hahah should see my year 9 Christmas report πŸ˜‚, I went down by 2 levels in English from year 8. I had 6c in year 8 then 4a in year 9 at Christmas. But it's all fine because I got A*A* in GCSE :smile:.
Original post by DesignPredator
Hahah should see my year 9 Christmas report πŸ˜‚, I went down by 2 levels in English from year 8. I had 6c in year 8 then 4a in year 9 at Christmas. But it's all fine because I got A*A* in GCSE :smile:.

Year 9 was a strange year for many of us I'd say. It was the peak of my awkwardness
Original post by jneill
Not at all: 19% of all Cambridge applicants came from Comprehensives (2015 data), and they made up 20% of Acceptances, so actually they are slightly more successful than the average. The issue is getting more to apply in the first place, hence Cambridge's heavy investment in outreach.

How does "19% from Comprehensives" not support my point that one has a very low chance to get into Cambridge if they are from comprehensives? Given that 85% of students of all mainstream schools are in comprehensive schools (2015 data: http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn01398.pdf), this seems to be a big issue. I don't see why you disagree with me when the data you give agrees with my point. Also, the reason why there is a 1% increase in acceptances from comprehensives is most likely due to the fact that Cambridge treats it as an extenuating circumstance, up to an extent. However, I do completely agree with you that the reason why such a low amount of applicants are from comprehensives is due to an issue with the school pushing students to apply. My school never gave me the choice to apply to Oxbridge, maybe because I was in Year 11 but I am sure it was similar for some of my friends in Year 13, so I had to push the school myself to tell me how all this admission works; I was pretty confused at the start. Also, I was lucky enough to have the Principal of my school, who is an ex-Cambridge NatSci, help me out with the admission which is probably something selective schools are very good at.

Original post by EnglishMuon
nah my school is terrible . needs improvement by ofsted and the head told everyone in assembly one day no-one here will get a 1st from cambridge. after I've done that and part III ill come back and challenge him to a duel.

My school got put into Special Measures when I was in Year 9, and got academised in Year 10 due to that.

You should do that, his reaction would be priceless! :biggrin:
Original post by Insight314
...Given that 85% of students of all mainstream schools are in comprehensive schools (2015 data: http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn01398.pdf), this seems to be a big issue....

^^^ I second this
What would your answer be ?
If I said that when I tossed this coin and every time it said heads you have to give me 50p but every time it showed a tails I give you a pound, how many times would you let me flip it and the coin show heads in a row before you would stop playing the game?
Original post by BioOx
If I said that when I tossed this coin and every time it said heads you have to give me 50p but every time it showed a tails I give you a pound, how many times would you let me flip it and the coin show heads in a row before you would stop playing the game?

depends if it's a double headed coin
Original post by BioOx

Is it a fair coin?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student403
depends if it's a double headed coin

It is just an usual coin as every other!
This is an Oxbridge interview question!
There should be a mathematical explanation behind this.
Original post by drandy76
Is it a fair coin?

Posted from TSR Mobile

u and ur stats. just take the 50 p and run 100% success rate.
Original post by Insight314
How does "19% from Comprehensives" not support my point that one has a very low chance to get into Cambridge if they are from comprehensives? Given that 85% of students of all mainstream schools are in comprehensive schools (2015 data: http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn01398.pdf), this seems to be a big issue. I don't see why you disagree with me when the data you give agrees with my point. Also, the reason why there is a 1% increase in acceptances from comprehensives is most likely due to the fact that Cambridge treats it as an extenuating circumstance, up to an extent. However, I do completely agree with you that the reason why such a low amount of applicants are from comprehensives is due to an issue with the school pushing students to apply. My school never gave me the choice to apply to Oxbridge, maybe because I was in Year 11 but I am sure it was similar for some of my friends in Year 13, so I had to push the school myself to tell me how all this admission works; I was pretty confused at the start. Also, I was lucky enough to have the Principal of my school, who is an ex-Cambridge NatSci, help me out with the admission which is probably something selective schools are very good at.

The number of applicants isn't controlled by Cambridge. Cambridge controls acceptances not applications. It's up to the comprehensives to encourage their pupils to apply. And the Outreach program has seen improvements in application rates over time.

But yes, there's still quite a way to go.

Edit: just to add, and I don't know how many comprehensives have 6th Forms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

would it make you happier if we replace every instance of coin with "random binary generator" and turn it into a group theory problem? :tongue:

That's cardio bro, would lose all my gainz

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
would it make you happier if we replace every instance of coin with "random binary generator" and turn it into a group theory problem? :tongue:

Think that would make everyone happier

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest