Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need advice... How to get over all this.

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Basically, I have been pretty close to someone since last July but last week, I found out they lied to my face about something when I asked them for the truth about a week and a half ago before.. I don't like liars and because of this, I have cut them off. I also told them when I asked for the truth before I would rather hear the truth even if it's something I don't want to hear because that is something I would respect but yet they still lied to me...

Since then, I have to admit it has now escalated when their friend got involved in the situation which caused me to have a go at them. They didn't reply and since then blocked me on Instagram. (I already blocked him on Facebook)

We did work together but I am planning to move to Lincoln because I can't bear to run into him and I heard he has got a new job starting soon... Now I have heard this information, it's starting to hit home that me and him probably will never talk again. I am angry at him for lying to me and I am hurt because I feel used. (He's got back with his ex girlfriend after months of me completely supporting him, falling for him, and us two becoming really close) but now I am starting to miss him "/.

Half of me wants to try and write a letter to explain why I acted the way I did at least... Try and explain my part of the story (I said he has to either tell this ex gf the truth or I will -- you can't try again with someone one if you are not honest with them right?) but then half of me knows if I do that, then I am admitting I am wrong and saying it was okay for him to lie to me.

I basically really want to not care about this situation but I don't know how? This is someone who I had basically everything in common with, who I felt emotionally connected too and did have fun with. I feel like in a way I have lost a bit of myself. The friendship was heading south for a while and I would be lying to say I ain't done stuff wrong but he did admit before that at times he has treated me like **** too... Both probably as bad as each other.

Any advice on this situation would be much appreciated..

Plus, I also bought him a phone to use since I felt guilty because his other one dropped on my laptop and broke. I am tempted to just post it through the door since I have no use for it but then yet again... I am not sure?? :/

I wonder whether it is a fact that he lied, not a false statement that he made, and whether you are aware of the reasons he acted in this way.

I used to be quick to conclude that some people in my world were lying and get annoyed because of this. One day I realised that if I just assumed that some of them were lying because they feared my reaction -some people just hate anything like a confrontation- I felt better about it. It's still a lie, but the context made me more accepting.

It's for you to decide what behaviour of his you will put up, but you may be wanting a reconciliation, in which case why not start building bridges and hope he responds?

Personally if someone breaks my trust it takes a great deal of effort on their part to get it back, otherwise like you I cut off all contact.

If you want to reconcile, make one last effort to talk it over. Noticed I highlighted the word talk; don't argue, just chat civilly and see if both of you can express yourselves without a fuss.

If that doesn't work or you don't want to reconcile, proceed with keeping him blocking and enforcing no contact. Time and space will help you heal from this friendship/crush.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.