The Student Room Group

Struggling with A level choices?

Hi! :biggrin:

I'm doing my GCSEs now and I hope to go on to sixth form after, I've applied to two different ones doing slightly different A-levels:

School A: Physics, Computing, Chemistry and Philosophy
School B: Biology, Chemistry, Philosophy (This one only lets you do 3 A levels)

School A is considered the 'better' school and I'm being advised by pretty much everyone to study there because they all feel I would have a better chance at achieving high grades, except I want to do Biochemistry at Uni and I feel Biology would benefit me more, especially since I want to go into medical research or something similar so I feel B is the better option for me personally. However my parents/teachers think it would simply be a different path to where I want to go, where I think the knowledge I would get from Biology A-level would be really helpful to me.

(I'm not doing Biology at A because they have much higher standards for getting in; I got a very low B in Biology GCSE as I was in hospital for a long period of time, so A felt I would not be strong enough in the subject. My current school would not let me re-sit despite me really wanting to as 'it would be too stressful')

Any advice is appreciated!

TL;DR: I want to do Biology at one school but am being advised against it in favour of a 'better school' to do Physics which I don't really want to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
dont do them go and do a btec

Quick Reply

Latest