The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra help - 250 words personal statement!!

So basically I've decided that I want to change my course. I originally applied to international relations and history - got 4 offers for the course. But now I'm set to do this course at Leeds which is Arabic and international relations, the only way I can do it is to decline all my offers and go through ucas extra - except your personal statement can be only 250 words long!
What am I supposed to say in it? why I want to do the course or why I've changed? are they gonna think that I got no offers and im going to them as a last resort because that's just not the case. Anyone else going through ucas extra? how are you writing your statement? thanks x
Original post by ellie o
So basically I've decided that I want to change my course. I originally applied to international relations and history - got 4 offers for the course. But now I'm set to do this course at Leeds which is Arabic and international relations, the only way I can do it is to decline all my offers and go through ucas extra - except your personal statement can be only 250 words long!
What am I supposed to say in it? why I want to do the course or why I've changed? are they gonna think that I got no offers and im going to them as a last resort because that's just not the case. Anyone else going through ucas extra? how are you writing your statement? thanks x

Universities you apply to in Extra will be able to see where you originally applied, what courses you applied for, whether you got offers and what those offers were....so they won't assume you got rejected just because you're applying through extra. They're unlikely to care either way though.

You PS for your new course should be the same as your PS would be otherwise. Admissions tutors are looking to see if you
a) understand the content and type of course you've applied to (so make it clear that you've done your research about the sorts of topics likely to come up in the degree, the methods of teaching that might be involved etc) in other words don't go into a lot of detail about year abroad opportunities if the course you're applying to doesn't offer a year abroad!
b) are sufficiently motivated and interested in the course to stick with it for 3 years. In your case you don't need to go into why you've changed your mind - you just need to be clear about why this course interests you. Lots of specific details and topics and things you've read or done that might be relevant all add to this
c) have the necessary skills and experience to succeed on the course - normally this isn't needed in the PS, your academic grades will be enough. It's only in some courses where this is more important.

Explain why the course interests you, explain the specific areas you're looking forward to, explain any activities or topics you've looked into already and what you liked about them.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Universities you apply to in Extra will be able to see where you originally applied, what courses you applied for, whether you got offers and what those offers were....so they won't assume you got rejected just because you're applying through extra. They're unlikely to care either way though.

You PS for your new course should be the same as your PS would be otherwise. Admissions tutors are looking to see if you
a) understand the content and type of course you've applied to (so make it clear that you've done your research about the sorts of topics likely to come up in the degree, the methods of teaching that might be involved etc) in other words don't go into a lot of detail about year abroad opportunities if the course you're applying to doesn't offer a year abroad!
b) are sufficiently motivated and interested in the course to stick with it for 3 years. In your case you don't need to go into why you've changed your mind - you just need to be clear about why this course interests you. Lots of specific details and topics and things you've read or done that might be relevant all add to this
c) have the necessary skills and experience to succeed on the course - normally this isn't needed in the PS, your academic grades will be enough. It's only in some courses where this is more important.

Explain why the course interests you, explain the specific areas you're looking forward to, explain any activities or topics you've looked into already and what you liked about them.

Thank you so, this has been so helpful!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending