The Student Room Group

Personal Statement & dropping out of uni..

Well I'll be a mature student when I apply, 22 at the time of starting a potential course in 2008 and I left uni at 18 after a few months of my course. I was doing well at it, but I just realised it wasn't what I wanted to dedicate my life to, and instead furthered other goals in preparation to apply again for something I *really* wanted to do.

So.

Should I be writing this on my personal statement? I see it as a positive thing, recognising that I was making a mistake and moving on and preparing myself for a future course.

I've emailed some admissions tutors asking if my A Levels are recent enough to still be worth consideration, they were positive in response, and I did tell them that I had dropped out of uni in the past and didn't comment on it as such.
You'll need to comment on it a bit, but try to concentrate on the positives. You were doing well, so say that you could cope with the work etc. And then try to show that you're sure this new course is more suited to you.

They probably won't care, but if you don't mention it they might think you're trying to hide it.
Reply 2
nursing_sue
You'll need to comment on it a bit, but try to concentrate on the positives. You were doing well, so say that you could cope with the work etc. And then try to show that you're sure this new course is more suited to you.

They probably won't care, but if you don't mention it they might think you're trying to hide it.

There is a small chance they will actually find out that you attended another University. Technically, it's a risk he is taking but it's entirely feasible that he doesn't mention it.
Reply 3
Well, I wasn't intending to hide it but, I wasn't really sure if it was best to say it or not :>
I'd mention it. Lots of people drop out, so it can't be that much of a problem, and the way you've phrased it sounds good- you had the academic ability to cope with the course, shown by your good results, but you realised your heart wasn't in it, so you took some time out to research what you really wanted to do as well as becoming more mature etc etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending