The Student Room Group

International exchange in the US, 400 level classes too difficult?

Hi, first post so I don't really know what I'm doing aha.

I'm choosing modules for my year abroad at Towson University in Maryland, but most of the modules available for enrolment are 400 level which I have a feeling might be too advanced. I'll be studying geography over there, and the only prerequisites they show for the 400 classes is for any 6 previous units in GEOG to have been completed (which I assume won't affect me as I've already done 2 years of geography at Leeds uni). So, anyone with knowledge of the US college system know how advanced these 400 level classes really are? Will be ok seeing as I (kinda) meet the prerequisites even though I'll only be technically a third year?

Hope that makes sense,
Cheers.
Original post by EnriqueShockwave
Hi, first post so I don't really know what I'm doing aha.

I'm choosing modules for my year abroad at Towson University in Maryland, but most of the modules available for enrolment are 400 level which I have a feeling might be too advanced. I'll be studying geography over there, and the only prerequisites they show for the 400 classes is for any 6 previous units in GEOG to have been completed (which I assume won't affect me as I've already done 2 years of geography at Leeds uni). So, anyone with knowledge of the US college system know how advanced these 400 level classes really are? Will be ok seeing as I (kinda) meet the prerequisites even though I'll only be technically a third year?

Hope that makes sense,
Cheers.

Hey!

For the majority of cases, you shouldn't need to worry about their prerequisites and what they say you need to have done. As an exchange student you'll be exempt from a lot of restrictions which makes choosing your classes a lot easier.

When I studied abroad for my third year, the majority of my classes were the equivalent to the 400 classes you're talking about. If they're available for undergrads, it shouldn't matter what level they're at as long as they closely resemble what you should be taking. I would try and keep away from any graduate level classes, but I know plenty of people who still took a graduate level class because it was the closest to what they needed.

If you have any queries, discuss classes with your department or advisor. They should have sent many students abroad and may have an idea of what classes are good matches, and which aren't. Also talk to your study abroad office, too.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hey!

For the majority of cases, you shouldn't need to worry about their prerequisites and what they say you need to have done. As an exchange student you'll be exempt from a lot of restrictions which makes choosing your classes a lot easier.

When I studied abroad for my third year, the majority of my classes were the equivalent to the 400 classes you're talking about. If they're available for undergrads, it shouldn't matter what level they're at as long as they closely resemble what you should be taking. I would try and keep away from any graduate level classes, but I know plenty of people who still took a graduate level class because it was the closest to what they needed.

If you have any queries, discuss classes with your department or advisor. They should have sent many students abroad and may have an idea of what classes are good matches, and which aren't. Also talk to your study abroad office, too.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Thanks for the help!

I had another look at the module catalogue and the modules are undergrad but also open to grad students, but I also received my official acceptance from Towson today and they've approved my module choices so fingers crossed they won't be too bad!

Cheers,
Hugh
Original post by EnriqueShockwave
Thanks for the help!

I had another look at the module catalogue and the modules are undergrad but also open to grad students, but I also received my official acceptance from Towson today and they've approved my module choices so fingers crossed they won't be too bad!

Cheers,
Hugh

Hey,

If they approved your choices and your home university are happy, then perfect. I'd imagine the 400 classes are targeted for 4th years or seniors. Some of the classes I did were completely fine, others were challenging but still doable. The education system is very different from the UK, they are all about continual assessment. If I could give you one bit of advice, it would be to keep on top of everything. Homeworks, assignments, midterms, finals, etc will soon add up and they will all contribute to your final grade. But, it's an amazing opportunity! :smile:

If you have any other questions, then let me know!

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending