Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

The Pomodoro Method of revision!

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Looking for a new way to keep yourself focused when revising?

The pomodoro technique (named after the Italian for tomato...) is a method of time management, and I find it really helpful for focusing in revising!
    What is a pomodoro?
    A pomodoro is a quickfire concentration session of 25 minutes, where you take away all distractions and work solidly. After completing a pomodoro you then take a 5 minute break to get away from your work (make sure you stand up and walk around, or go into a different room) and refresh your brain so it's ready to go again. After you've done this 4 times you take a longer break of 30 mins, and keep going until you've completed your revision goals.

Why does it work?
    There are two main problems that people can have with revision:
    1. Underworking and lack of concentration. If you feel like your revision is dragging and you can't keep your focus for a long period of time, then it's common for procrastinations and distractions to kick in, and before you know it you're back on TSR aimlessly browsing. The pomodoro technique makes sure you stay on task, because when you think about only having to part with your phone for 25 minutes, it's a lot more achievable.
    2. Overworking. If you're panicking about revision and trying to cram, you might be tempted to just try to work for hours on end. While this might work for some people, it isn't effective for the most part, and your brain will start getting tired and not take in as much information as it could. Just like it's important to take breaks in exercise, your brain needs breaks too.
    What else do I need?
    You don't need anything else to let you do this method, but here are some things that I find might make your pomodoros even more effectice:
    1. A timer. While you can use an egg timer, I like to use pomodoro apps or a timer app on my phone that also records how long I've been working for. The app I use the most is called Forest, and you can set the timer for as long as you want, and as the time passes it grows a tree - but if you leave the app the tree dies.
    2. A written record of your pomodoros. You might like the visual element a bit more, in which case you can have a sheet of squared paper for each subject, and colour in a square every time you do a pomodoro. This should also help you balance how much revision you're doing for each subject.
    Good luck!

The pomodoro method got me through university - it is great If 25 minutes is too long to concentrate intially, start with 10 minutes and build up to 25 slowly :dumbells: It's like weight training for your concentration muscles :dumbells: :woo:

!'m going to try this >_< Thank you!!

(Original post by alyaapenguin)
    !'m going to try this >_< Thank you!!
    I'm using it right now, just finishing a 5 minute break

I'm in my 5 mins break too =D
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful revision links

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.