Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I study when I feel depressed?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I suffer a lot with anxiety and depression which is a real battle when it comes to revision since a part of me is terrified of failure but the other really couldn't care less. Things have been getting a little more hectic and I'm feeling more depressed than anxious and I really don't see the point in bothering - I KNOW THAT THERE IS THOUGH. My question is this: how do you kick the feelings that depression gives you to get the all important revision done?

Itll help you

Take a break,meet up with friends.At least thats what I did,because I was studying too much and then got depressed.

Personally I found the only thing that helped was getting better. My depression reached a point where it was so debilitating that I was signed off work for over 6 months, then put on reduced hours, and in that time I barely left the house and was physically as well as mentally ill. Since starting uni I've come off antidepressants and I'm doing much better and revision is easier. As a general revision tip I find being outside is easier especially now it's sunny, because I'm less tempted to sit around watching TV and the sun helps keep my mood up.

I also suffer with depression and find I lack motivation to revise. What I like to do is make my revision look really pleasing I use lots of colorful pens and highlighters. So at the end of revising I can see what I have achieved, this mostly helps if you are a visual learner.

I also like to take frequent breaks during revising and remember to have a drink and a snack because sometimes I find I go on autopilot and forgot this.

Another very important thing is don't burn yourself out too quickly I tend to do a whole block of 4 hour revision one night and be so tired the next night that I don't want to revise again.Dont revise in to the early hours of the morning again this will burn you out and you need at least 7 hours sleep to help your memory. I suggest making a timetable so you can equally share out the hours so you can cover all subjects.

You may want to find a study friend not necessarily to study with always but so you can test each other and compare notes.

Write out a list of reasons why it would be good to get good grades. Remind yourself of these reasons when you are feeling unmotivated.

This is probably my biggest motivator, treat yourself after you complete a night of revision. This could be anything from watching your favourite tv show, having some sweets or a bar of chocolate or just relaxing and listening to music.

Remember to rest lots and make time for yourself hope you do well good luck!!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.