The Student Room Group
Reply 1

1. Show that u1u_1 is divisible by 2.
2. Assume that unu_n is divisible by 2.
3. Show that un+1unu_{n+1} - u_{n} is divisible by 2 (this will require almost no work, just spot something from the first part).
4. Conclude that un+1u_{n+1} is divisible by 2.
5. Write that induction thing.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
1. Show that u1u_1 is divisible by 2.
2. Assume that unu_n is divisible by 2.
3. Show that un+1unu_{n+1} - u_{n} is divisible by 2 (this will require almost no work, just spot something from the first part).
4. Conclude that un+1u_{n+1} is divisible by 2.
5. Write that induction thing.

I just did 2(n+2) so must be divisible by 2 haha. By the way how does 3 imply 4?
Reply 3
Original post by Super199
I just did 2(n+2) so must be divisible by 2 haha. By the way how does 3 imply 4?

Yep, that's correct.

Because if un+1un=mu_{n+1} - u_n = m is divisible by 2 then add unu_n to both sides to get un+1=m+unu_{n+1} = m + u_n both terms are divisible by 2 (un is divisible by 2 by assumption) so the sum of two terms which are both divisible by 2 are also divisible by 2 hence un+1u_{n+1} is divisible by 2.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Yep, that's correct.

Because if un+1un=mu_{n+1} - u_n = m is divisible by 2 then add unu_n to both sides to get un+1=m+unu_{n+1} = m + u_n both terms are divisible by 2 (un is divisible by 2 by assumption) so the sum of two terms which are both divisible by 2 are also divisible by 2 hence un+1u_{n+1} is divisible by 2.

Cheers, mind helping with 4ii as well.

I got 4i to be a circle centre (-1,1) radius root 2. I don't quite get the boundary thing with the second part, what am I looking for?
Reply 5
Cheers, mind helping with 4ii as well.

I got 4i to be a circle centre (-1,1) radius root 2. I don't quite get the boundary thing with the second part, what am I looking for?

4(i) is asking the the locus of points that are exactly (2)\sqrt(2) away from (1,-1) (surely it's (1, -1) and not (-1, 1))? That is the circle centre (1, -1) and radius (2)\sqrt(2).

4(ii) is asking for the locus of points that are 2\sqrt{2} or less away from (1, -1) but more than 11 away from (1, -1) which is precisely the shaded area inside of the circle between the two concentric circles of radius (2)\sqrt(2) and radius 1.

A diagram should help:

Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
4(i) is asking the the locus of points that are exactly (2)\sqrt(2) away from (1,-1) (surely it's (1, -1) and not (-1, 1))? That is the circle centre (1, -1) and radius (2)\sqrt(2).

4(ii) is asking for the locus of points that are 2\sqrt{2} or less away from (1, -1) but more than 11 away from (1, -1) which is precisely the shaded area inside of the circle between the two concentric circles of radius (2)\sqrt(2) and radius 1.

A diagram should help:

Yh my bad with 4i.
Thats one funky diagram I rate it. So you just want another circle (within the original one) with radius 1 from the centre and shade that bad boy?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Yh my bad with 4i.
Thats one funky diagram I rate it. So you just want another circle with radius 1 from the centre and shade that bad boy?

You want to shade the area between the bad boy and the original circle. Basically the green lines on my diagram.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
You want to shade the area between the bad boy and the original circle. Basically the green lines on my diagram.

Yh got it cheers.
8i, if you don't mind. I've forgotten how to deal with factorials lol
Reply 9
Yh got it cheers.
8i, if you don't mind. I've forgotten how to deal with factorials lol

(r+2)!=(r+2)(r+1)(2)(1)=(r+2)(r+1)!\displaystyle (r+2)! = (r+2)(r+1)\cdots (2)(1) = (r+2)(r+1)!

So (r+2)!(r+1)!=(r+2)(r+1)!(r+1)!=\displaystyle (r+2)! - (r+1)! = (r+2)(r+1)! - (r+1)! = \cdots - factorise that stuff and it'll fall out easily.
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
(r+2)!=(r+2)(r+1)(2)(1)=(r+2)(r+1)!\displaystyle (r+2)! = (r+2)(r+1)\cdots (2)(1) = (r+2)(r+1)!

So (r+2)!(r+1)!=(r+2)(r+1)!(r+1)!=\displaystyle (r+2)! - (r+1)! = (r+2)(r+1)! - (r+1)! = \cdots - factorise that stuff and it'll fall out easily.

I don't get what you have done sorry :frown:
Reply 11
I don't get what you have done sorry :frown:

(r+2)!(r+2)! is the same thing as (r+2) * (r+1) * (r) * (r-1) * (r-2) * ...

(r+1)! is the same thing as (r+1)(r)(r-1)(r-2)(r-3)...

The two bolded things are the same

So I can rewrite (r+2)! as (r+2)(r+1)!.

Quick Reply

Latest