The Student Room Group

Polaroids are confusing sometimes...

So...

viewing lamp with a Polaroid: intensity reduced as polaroid only allows vibrations in one plane... I get this

rotating the polaroid though: no effect on intensity.. why?? I can't imagine this because I don't have a Polaroid with me. But what it's saying is that if you rotate the polaroid it will allow vibrations in all directions? Surely, it is only allowing one plane at a given time.
Reply 1
No, I came across this question (was it PHY4 January 2007?) and I think you misread it. Yes a polaroid is designed to confine all the oscillations of a wave in one single plane hence it reduces the intensity as the long chain molecules in the polaroid absorb the other planes. Now what the question says is that if you had the polaroid already in front of you, and you notice a decrease in intensity, and then you rotate it, there essentially is no change in the intensity you observe compared to the one previously. This is simply because instead of allowing components (let's say) vertically of the wave, it allows the horizontal components, so the overall change is nothing.
Reply 2
Mohit_C
No, I came across this question (was it PHY4 January 2007?) and I think you misread it. Yes a polaroid is designed to confine all the oscillations of a wave in one single plane hence it reduces the intensity as the long chain molecules in the polaroid absorb the other planes. Now what the question says is that if you had the polaroid already in front of you, and you notice a decrease in intensity, and then you rotate it, there essentially is no change in the intensity you observe compared to the one previously. This is simply because instead of allowing components (let's say) vertically of the wave, it allows the horizontal components, so the overall change is nothing.

Oh right... confusing question. Thanks for clearing that up.
Basically you are studying the fact that light is emitted from a lamp in all polarisation states equally, ie there is no preferred polarisation for the light to be in. It is just as likely to be vertically polarised as horizontally polarised, or any angle in between.

Latest