Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'd appreciate your help: Social anxiety problem for the last 6-8 months

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I become very anxious in situations where there are lots of people: whether I'm between them, getting picked on by the teacher in school or walking past people, I sweat, cough excessively, blush and it looks like I am about to cry.

I also experience hypervigilance which, I think, is yet another symptom of my anxieties.

My GP is aware of the situation (just general anxiety) but not the social aspect of it, nor do my parents.

School has finished for me (completed Year 11 and have been at home for quite a while) and I have GCSEs from Monday. The difficult thing for me will be going to school and walking past others who I haven't seen for a while and they are most likely to approach me in an unnerving way.

I used to interact with everyone so well but my confidence has been reduced since 2015 onwards I'd say.

Anyone else had similar experiences and how have you dealt with such issues?

Hey there, take it easy.
    That's what I try and do, I feel socially awkward at times, but I used to be a hell of a lot worse.
    I was once sick during an exam, not being nervous before hand, but somehow I panicked in the middle and couldn't control myself. anyway, after that week was a half term, and I got SO worked up about going back, about people asking me what was up etc. I ended up lying to my parents and pretending that I was ill for at least a month, and by then I felt absolutely terrified about going back. I had to go back for just last lesson each day for the first week, until I got used to it again and felt abit calmer, then got used to full days again. I'll never forget how worked up I got before that first lesson back :/. I don't know how, but I ended up back in school full time after two months transition back. Anyway, the point is, the more you get used to situations that you don't like, the easier it will become. Besides that, when you meet up with people before an exam, everyone's going to be anxious, you won't be alone. I hope this was of some use to you
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.