The Student Room Group

Is it illegal to leave planet earth

Scroll to see replies

Brb getting some X-Kryptonite to try it out
lmao :lol:
i guess u would get in to trouble if u dont have a space liscence lols :giggle:
Original post by Serine Soul
But they can't arrest you in space?

If postman pat can afford a bloody helicopter then the police should be able to afford a rocket.
It's practically impossible though..
Everyone down for doing it on Sunday then? :biggrin:
Where do I Sign Up?!
let me know if you find out
Reply 28
yeah you get 6 stars dude
You'd have to notify ATC. In particular, it's illegal to fly in US or UK airspace without showing the appropriate navigation lights/etc., so you'd have to put tail lights and stuff on your rocket. Also, getting hold of quite that much explosive material seems quite tricky to do legally.
you have forgotten about space trump who want to put up an asteroid belt to prevent humans damaging space
Original post by tayoo
if you built a rocket and went up into space...would you get in trouble

Yes. There are definitely laws on building/flying any kind of aircraft (arguably a rocket is an aircraft at some point) and there are laws/rules about endangering the public and/or other aircraft. But, if you could comply with all of those I'm sure there is no prohibition on actually leaving the Earths atmosphere.
As long as you comply with regulations on aircraft and explosives I'm sure it'd be fine.
I think it might be. Whilst there's a lot of legal grey area surrounding activities in outer space (something that I think is going to be a serious issue in the future when commercial space activities become economically viable), there are some international treaties about what you can and can't do in space. The Outer Space Treaty states:

The activities of non-governmental entities in outer space, including the Moon and other celestial bodies, shall require authorization and continuing supervision by the appropriate State Party to the Treaty

So depending on how literally you interpret that, going into space without seeing any government permission could be seen as breaking this treaty, to which the UK and USA are both signatories of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending