The Student Room Group

Student from Canada wanting to apply to Dentistry in UK

Hello, I am a student from Canada wanting to apply to study in the UK. I have been looking at the dentistry undergraduate 5 year program at many universities. I just had a couple questions to clarify things:

1) Does University of Birmingham accept international students for undergraduate dental program?

2) What is a really good score on the UKCAT?

3) Is it too late to apply for entry for September 2016?

4) I have an average of 90% in my top 6 courses from grade 12, how do those marks get viewed/converted in UK? Is 90% competitive?

5) I have 50 hours of shadowing with a dentist, is that good?

6) Is there a mock study schedule or anything for the UKCAT and any example of how the personal statement should be like?

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.
Original post by gurkarand
Hello, I am a student from Canada wanting to apply to study in the UK. I have been looking at the dentistry undergraduate 5 year program at many universities. I just had a couple questions to clarify things:

1) Does University of Birmingham accept international students for undergraduate dental program?

2) What is a really good score on the UKCAT?

3) Is it too late to apply for entry for September 2016?

4) I have an average of 90% in my top 6 courses from grade 12, how do those marks get viewed/converted in UK? Is 90% competitive?

5) I have 50 hours of shadowing with a dentist, is that good?

6) Is there a mock study schedule or anything for the UKCAT and any example of how the personal statement should be like?

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

1) Yes, although places are limited in an already highly competitive course (but you'll only have to compete with other international students, although I think they only have 5/10 places or something between I don't know how many international applicants)

2) Well REALLY good, is a total of anything over 3000, but 2850 upwards is impressive, 2600 is considered average

3) Unfortunately yes, you can apply for 2017/2018 entry in October

4) Probably? I don't know, that you'll have to contact admissions about directly. Like I said though, your main competition will be the other international students, not the ones from the UK as there are a designated number of places for international students.

5) Yes, well, average, but the experiences you had there are more important than how long you were there for.

6) Lots: Medify.com has all sorts of practice, and of course there's the UKCAT official website which has a few mocks. There are of course books which are supposed to help you revise too, but they aren't endorsed by the UKCAT directly, although they do help. If you PM me I can give you more details on your PS.
Reply 2
Hello, I am a student from Canada wanting to apply to study in the UK. I have been looking at the dentistry undergraduate 5 year program at many universities.

I've moved your thread to the Dentistry forum. :smile:
Original post by Alaric III
1) Yes, although places are limited in an already highly competitive course (but you'll only have to compete with other international students, although I think they only have 5/10 places or something between I don't know how many international applicants)

2) Well REALLY good, is a total of anything over 3000, but 2850 upwards is impressive, 2600 is considered average

3) Unfortunately yes, you can apply for 2017/2018 entry in October

4) Probably? I don't know, that you'll have to contact admissions about directly. Like I said though, your main competition will be the other international students, not the ones from the UK as there are a designated number of places for international students.

5) Yes, well, average, but the experiences you had there are more important than how long you were there for.

6) Lots: Medify.com has all sorts of practice, and of course there's the UKCAT official website which has a few mocks. There are of course books which are supposed to help you revise too, but they aren't endorsed by the UKCAT directly, although they do help. If you PM me I can give you more details on your PS.

Thank you. I tried to contact universities but did not receive a reply from all. I really need to find out somehow what a competitive average is for international students cause that way I can upgrade my marks before applying. I went on the medify website and it has a tool to help choose universities, is that helpful?
Thank you. I tried to contact universities but did not receive a reply from all. I really need to find out somehow what a competitive average is for international students cause that way I can upgrade my marks before applying. I went on the medify website and it has a tool to help choose universities, is that helpful?

It'll take at least a week for them to get back to you if you've only just tried.

How do you mean upgrade your marks, as in retakes?

I never used medify for that purpose but if it works it works I guess. The website as a whole has undergone a major update since I last used it so I assume it has a few new fancy bells and whistles added to it.
Reply 5
I agree...
Reply 6
How do you uni view repeated courses, also dont non-Eu have unit June to apply?
Reply 7
How do you uni view repeated high school courses?
also don't non-Eu applicants have unit June to apply?

Quick Reply

Latest