The Student Room Group

Can I do investment banking/finance with BSc Economics from these unis?

I am looking at doing BSc Economics at university and would like to go to these unis:
-Bath
- Southampton
- Exeter
- Birmingham
- Manchester
- Queen Mary
- LSE (for economics and history)
- Durham ( would I need further maths for Durham?)

I want to also know are these unis like in terms of the career prospects to the question I asked, what they are like in general and also what the economics course is like?

Thanks!!
Original post by maoism123
I am looking at doing BSc Economics at university and would like to go to these unis:
-Bath
- Southampton
- Exeter
- Birmingham
- Manchester
- Queen Mary
- LSE (for economics and history)
- Durham ( would I need further maths for Durham?)

I want to also know are these unis like in terms of the career prospects to the question I asked, what they are like in general and also what the economics course is like?

Thanks!!

Generally there are two buckets of universities represented in front office IB - targets and semi-targets. Target unis lay claim to the vast majority (70-80%) of places in the grad intake whilst semi-targets make up the next portion (20-25%) with a small smattering of people from non-targets.

Targets are: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial

Semi targets: Nottingham, Durham, Bristol, Bath, Manchester, KCL, Cass, Edinburgh and St Andrews

Everything else is a non-target and as such would be immensely more difficult to break in from; although certainly possible for a top candidate.

That all said, even from a target uni you would still have to be a competitive applicant (grades, experience, personality etc wise) to stand a chance, being at a semi-target would make it more difficult for 'average' applicants to FO but would be fine for top candidates and lastly a non-target uni on your CV would make it insanely difficult as an average applicant but top/exceptional applicants fare well regardless.

Degree subject isn't that important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would also urge you against apply for econ+history for the sake of easier entry grades if you plan to apply for straight economics elsewhere. Trying to play the admissions game really doesnt pay off majority of cases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending