The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
i think i totally flopped that paper.
i did questions 2 - interpersonal attraction, 5 - restorative sleep and i was supposed to do q15 - brain size n intelligence but my mind totally went void on that one. i couldn't believe it i even went to the toilet to see if a brief walk would jog my memory but too bad it didn't. in the end i answered q 13 instead - the 6 mark about the operant and classical conditioning and then the 18 mark about the experiments in non humans. i dont know why i did that, we didnt even learn that topic but i just wrote about conditioned stimulus response and everything. god knows where i pulled all this info out from. i think i remember reading sometime maybe last year of pavlovs dog or something and i wrote that in my 18 mark, also i wrote about that study rat mazes and where they were taught and then bits of brain removed n transplanted in2 ova rats and they found that those rats learnt much qucikcer than control. i also managed to chuck in some study of flat worms where they were conditioned to convulse when a light was shown on them. i totally think i flopped though. for interpersonal attraction i wrote about evo and personal charecterisitcs - cnt belive i missed out the halo effect and i think i atleast got restorative sleep theories right. ah well, got sociology on friday, biology on tuesday and den pya5 on wednesday
Reply 81
I did questions 3, 4 and 5.

I thought question 3 (bystander/altruism) was ok - though I ended up outlining a number of studies I dragged up from my memory without being sure who they were by, or knowing the details.

I thought question 4 on brain investigation techniques was quite easy, but question 5 I'm not sure how I did.
I think the 6 mark part was ok, but the 18 mark was difficult, as the sleep depviratioin studies I knew didn't really apply to any sleep theories.

I think however it was probably overall a B, an A if they are marking generously.

From AS level I have 267 UMS, so a reasonable A, however I didn't do all that well in the coursework, I got 49/60. I was just wondering if anyone knew the grade boundaries for coursework, and how much of the A level the coursework is worth? Thankyou :smile:
Reply 82
Yeah, I got 53/60 in the coursework, a mark or 2 into A so 49 is gonna be on the borderline I think, probably just under an A.

I think the cswk is worth the same as the exam we've just done, with the other exam worth 20 more UMS marks I think
Reply 83
Dark and Lovely
Why did you put that in...that would be for the question consider evolutionary factors in intelligence? how did you link it to actual brain size and not just intelligence

I actually did link it to brain size; like for example in order to gain food, individuals may have needed to develope cognitive maps of the environment hence brain "enlargement" etc etc In this case, an evaluate point I made was that they obtained food to supply to their already large brains rather than vice versa. I didn't really know what to put so I did link most of the stuff like how I've mentioned. I don't know if I'll get any marks....but at least I tried.
Reply 84
That dicuss the relationship between brain size and intelligence is in the dog book as an exampe... hm... i wrote down stuff about EQ and how it did not work because it doesn't show that high EQ leads to intellgience (Macphail) and... Holloway suggested that i should be the quality of the brain. He found most mammals have 6 and dolphins have 5 therefore suggesting that dolphins aren't intelligent... on the otherhand it's been found by Herman that dolphins are more intelligent that chimpanzes etc.. .. did anyone else write along the lines of this? or am i going to fail lol
Seth_Salem
I actually did link it to brain size; like for example in order to gain food, individuals may have needed to develope cognitive maps of the environment hence brain "enlargement" etc etc In this case, an evaluate point I made was that they obtained food to supply to their already large brains rather than vice versa. I didn't really know what to put so I did link most of the stuff like how I've mentioned. I don't know if I'll get any marks....but at least I tried.

Actually I think you'll get marks for that cause it's evolutionary factors...it could be AO2 marks.
L27
I did questions 3, 4 and 5.

I thought question 3 (bystander/altruism) was ok - though I ended up outlining a number of studies I dragged up from my memory without being sure who they were by, or knowing the details.

I thought question 4 on brain investigation techniques was quite easy, but question 5 I'm not sure how I did.
I think the 6 mark part was ok, but the 18 mark was difficult, as the sleep depviratioin studies I knew didn't really apply to any sleep theories.

I think however it was probably overall a B, an A if they are marking generously.

From AS level I have 267 UMS, so a reasonable A, however I didn't do all that well in the coursework, I got 49/60. I was just wondering if anyone knew the grade boundaries for coursework, and how much of the A level the coursework is worth? Thankyou :smile:

48/60 is a B but 52/60 is an A lol so you're just into a B but very close to an A-ridiculous isn't it...I got 55 and apparently will get 79/90 UMS so your UMS mark will be about 65.
Reply 87
The UMS scores for c/w are sillllly. I got 57/60 and that equated to 83, im not being funny, but I would of rather sat an exam
^ Same...its annoying you can drop 5 marks in an exam and get full UMS or there abouts...pissed that i can't get full marks again this yr.
Figured I need to get 134 UMS points from PYA4 and PYA5. Are there 90 available in the former, and 120 in the latter?!
I got 42/60 in my coursework :frown: Does anyone know what grade that will be? :frown: xxx
a D?
Reply 92
Just scraping a D with that yeah, 5 mark grade boundaries, which is a bit ****.
Reply 93
Hey guys, I'm really worried about my Altruism question....well not "really" worried just a bit doubtful. I included Batsons study and evaluated it and I also included Cialdinis model but evaluated that with supporting research eg Roker and Franzoi. Have I totally messed the question up? Someone was going on about "band" marking....
Reply 94
All my predictions came up so i was a very happy bunny walking out of that exam. The Sleep Deprivation question was a little confusing because i ended up writing a load of supporting crap when they wanted implications, but other than that i can't complain about that exam.

I knew the examiners were going to shake up the patterns eventually, i almost laughed when i saw a moral development (although they called it Moral Understanding :confused:) question come up when it had been Piaget and Vygotsky in June for ages.
Reply 95
Hev456
i almost laughed when i saw a moral development (although they called it Moral Understanding :confused:) question come up when it had been Piaget and Vygotsky in June for ages.

I almost burst into tears :eek:
Reply 96
Just a quick worry, although im sure its nothing.

For the explanations of interpersonal attraction, i said i was going to talk about the evolutionary approach. But then i started talking about Buss, and his findings of what features men and women prefer in each other. Ive just looked in my textbook now, and that actually comes under the sociobiological explanation, not evolutionary explanation, and Buss is a sociobiologist.

I know sociobiology is a branch of the evolutionary approach (well i think it is. it better be lol), so will i lose marks for doing that?
Reply 97
They are basically the same thing so it shouldn't matter at all, I imagine.
Reply 98
Im fairly sure sociobiological theory is accepted as an evolutionary approach.

I talked about this theory and Buss' findings also. I hope its ok lol
Reply 99
its not the the fact that i talked about a sociobiological explanation (im pretty certain thats fine), it more that i said i was gonna talk about evolutionary explanation, but then talked about a sociobiological explanation. im reckon i should be alright though. only a couple of marks off at most for wrongly stating what approach i was gonna talk about at the most hopefully.

Latest

Trending

Trending