The Student Room Group

PGDE Applications 2017 (Scotland)

Hi,
I know I'm early but I was just wondering if anyone is applying for PDGE teaching for 2017?? I graduated from Uni last year with an ordinary degree in marketing, I didn't stay on for 4th year as I got a graduate job within Bank of Scotland.. Turns it I absolutely hate it!! So decided to turn to my dreams and become a primary teacher. I am currently working one day a week within my local primary school and I am loving it!! Only downfall is that I am studying my national 5 maths and higher english at college (around my full time job!) Judging by other forums I am assuming I have no chance with two qualifications pending and an ordinary degree... :frown:? I was really hoping to get in as I hate my job but can't quit as the hours suit my college and voluntary work needs. I am willing to travel anywhere in Scotland to pursue teaching.. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JodieL101
Hi,
I know I'm early but I was just wondering if anyone is applying for PDGE teaching for 2017?? I graduated from Uni last year with an ordinary degree in marketing, I didn't stay on for 4th year as I got a graduate job within Bank of Scotland.. Turns it I absolutely hate it!! So decided to turn to my dreams and become a primary teacher. I am currently working one day a week within my local primary school and I am loving it!! Only downfall is that I am studying my national 5 maths and higher english at college (around my full time job!) Judging by other forums I am assuming I have no chance with two qualifications pending and an ordinary degree... :frown:? I was really hoping to get in as I hate my job but can't quit as the hours suit my college and voluntary work needs. I am willing to travel anywhere in Scotland to pursue teaching.. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me?

I'm applying for a PGCE for 2017 entry but in Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by gem1201
Hey! I am also applying for the PGDE starting 2017 and similar to you, I have a BA degree in a completely different subject and hoping that I will still be accepted. I haven't even started doing any work experience yet, hoping to do this when the schools come back from the summer break. What universities are you applying to?

Hi! I'm applying for Strathclyde, Aberdeen, Dundee & UWS.. Unsure if I'll get accepted into Glasgow so tempted to applying to University of the Highland and islands! How are you getting on with everything?
Reply 3
Hi,I’m hoping to get into the PGDE next year. Will be applying for Dundee and Edinburgh. Anywhere else would just be too far to travel. I’ve just received a 2:1 honours and have just signed up for national 5 maths and communication/literature modules. I’m hoping doing these will go in my favour (especially for the literacy/numeracy tests) since all the subjects will be fresh in my mind and not taken as highers 25+ years ago.
Why do you think you've no chance of getting in?
Reply 4
Congratulations on your degree!! I just feel this way as I have 2 modules pending and only have an ordinary degree! I left university as I got offered an amazing graduate job (well amazing at the time) have you done any voluntary work?
Hey,

I plan on applying for the PGDE Primary course starting 2017. I'm applying for Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Glasgow, UWS & Dundee (in that order going by location). I also just graduated with an ordinary BA degree in Theatre & Film Studies in 2013 from QMU in Edinburgh and I also have a C at higher English. I am also in the process of starting National 5 Maths hopefully at West Lothian college (I stupidly left this decision really late but thankfully they still have places, whether they accept me or not is a whole other situation). Whilst doing this, for the next year I will be doing an HNC in childhood practice where I will be doing placements in nurseries. Before the placement part starts, I am hopeful to get some experience in a primary classroom as i've read that the uni's really look for you to have experience in your chosen age group (primary or secondary).
Anyway. My friend who graduated from his PGDE Secondary last year, was studying for his higher english AND intermediate 2 maths while he applied; he was given a conditional from Edinburgh on the basis he got 2 C's. He done it, got in and passed his interviews. So basically what i'm saying is you should definitely apply but just go to absolute town on your personal statement, by the sounds of what i've read, experience and your statement are probably more important than the qualifications. :smile:
Reply 6
I'm in the same boat, starting the maths / english modules whilst applying for the PGDE. Trying to find somewhere to do maths was a nightmare; nearly everywhere was fully booked but i think i'm sorted now.
My only worry is they'll think i'm rushing everything and wonder why i'm suddenly desperate for a career in teaching. I still work in a 'non-education' job and it's tricky trying to find time to fit everything in.
Totally in the same kinda situ as you. Are you doing the maths full time or just in the evening? Where did you manage to find a place? :smile:
Nah as long as you just chat about wanting more life experience and all that it'll be fine I reckon. The determination will look good.
Reply 8
Aww that's great your cousin got accepted! My only worry is that there is a much higher demand for primary teaching, finished my personal statement.. I think but just need to find someone to give me a reference for my UCAS application! How are you all getting on with ucas?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah there's definitely a higher demand for primary, my friends mum works at Moray House (Edin) and said that they look for experience as that's really important to them. I've started my ucas today, just need to add in the education part, start my PS and find some references. I'm gonna do those last 2 parts not for another couple months as I wanna make sure I actually get on to this maths course lol. Then I wanna try and do a few weeks at a primary school before finding references as having a head teacher/deputy head as a reference from a school you've worked at gives your application a better shot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Danzypoo92
Totally in the same kinda situ as you. Are you doing the maths full time or just in the evening? Where did you manage to find a place? :smile:
Nah as long as you just chat about wanting more life experience and all that it'll be fine I reckon. The determination will look good.

Neither, I'm doing them all (the 2 english components & maths) distance learning. I'm probably slightly older than the average PGDE student so I have childcare commitments in the evening and work during the day. None of my local colleges had free slots for maths so i've registered with Argyll (over 100 miles away) and they said i should be able to go into my local college for exams, etc. Like yourself though i want to make 100% sure that i can start the maths before giving up my 'normal' job and trying to get into a school. At the moment though i'm just using all my free time to brush on my maths because they told me i'll need to sit an entrance exam. So all this PGDE stuff is irrelevant if i fail the entrance test for the maths course! One thing at a time.....:-)
Ah I get ya! That totally makes sense :smile:
I went in for my maths assessment today and I passed thankfully, but it was tricky and I was very rusty! But that's me enrolled on that now. Busy year ahead for us all. I'm going to try and arrange some placements now... Fingers crossed!
Reply 12
Well done you!! How awful was the maths assessment? The college asked for my academic certificates etc last Friday so I'm sure i'll hear about the assessment soon. Keep checking my emails nervously!
Thanks! Well it was quite hard, I was shocked at how little I remembered (even the stuff I was good at back in the days) it was very much subtracting fractions, algebra, trig, sin cos tan so just the harder intermediate 1 stuff.
Ahhh good luck I'm sure it'll be okay! :smile:
Reply 14
Thanks! Well it was quite hard, I was shocked at how little I remembered (even the stuff I was good at back in the days) it was very much subtracting fractions, algebra, trig, sin cos tan so just the harder intermediate 1 stuff.
Ahhh good luck I'm sure it'll be okay! :smile:

Got an email fro the college saying the entrance exam is available and i have to email them when i want to come in and do it.
I've been going back over all the maths topics on the bbc website for weeks now but I'm still struggling.
I know i should have a more positive attitude but I'm worried i fail at this first hurdle! Did you find out immediately if you got on the course (did they tell you your pass mark?) or did they email you afterwards?
Ah don't worry! My advice is take a scientific calculator with you and practice fractions, algebra and sohcahtoa especially. I felt the same I was very paniced but I took a good 2 hours to get it done and they were fine. He marked my test there and then and no he didn't give me the marks back he just said he was happy to take me on. I had my first maths class last night and it is hard but atleast you'll be with like minded people :smile:
There's a FB support group you can join for your cohort.

It's only just started so it's a bit slow, but there's loads of resources in there from this years cohort that will help you including interview tips etc. This years group is booming and it's nice to meet people on your course :smile:

www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherTraining1718/
Hey! I graduated in 2013 from Edinburgh Uni in Conservation and have been working in the conservation sector for the past 2 and a half years. I'm going to be applying for Strathclyde, Glasgow and UWS. My sister is a teacher and I mad a meeting this week with the head teacher of the school to arrange voluntary experience. I'll be helping out at the school once a week to gain classroom experience. I'm getting confused by all the info out there on the courses. It seems lots of it is England specific and different to the Scottish application process. Does anyone know when the courses open on UCAS?
UCAS opens in a few days I think and the deadline is Januray 15th :smile:
UCAS opens in a few days I think and the deadline is Januray 15th :smile:

Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest