The Student Room Group

Friday 13th; which superstition/s do you believe in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by morgan8002
Nothing, but it might not be in a fully stable situation beforehand. Also, air currents and accidentally touching the ladder could disturb it.

The only sensible reasons to avoid walking under a ladder are if it is a very windy day and if someone is up it at the time, and that is because they might fall or drop something on you. Walking into the road to avoid it is just silly.
The only thing I believe is that Friday 13th is unlucky simply because there has been times where something bad has happened. Today wasn't so bad though I did encounter someone I absolutely hate, I thought I'd never see him again but nope
Now I don't really believe in any of it, but I'd still rather not take chances :P If there is one I'm really bad for though it's 3 drains. I will make an extended effort to move out of the way of 3 drains, sometimes even if it involves walking into people to do so :tongue: Though I do try to avoid walking into people...
Reply 43

Spoiler

Most superstitions are common sense, like it's just plain stupid walking under a ladder. Opening an umbrella indoors is probably a bad idea just because you'll probably knock something over or poke someones eye out... it goes on!
I know it's silly but breaking a mirror would really worry me
I must have broken a lot of mirrors as I've had nothing but **** luck since 2009!
Reply 47
I know superstitions are a load of horsepoo, but I must admit I feel uneasy if I say something tempting fate and don't touch wood.
1 drink at 6pm turned into in the city at 1am... Bad day xd
opening an umbrella indoors?!!!!! I had never heard that before. Can someone explain it to me? Is that really a thing?
It baffles me how otherwise intelligent people can believe that walking under a ladder, or anything else in the poll, is 'unlucky'.
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
opening an umbrella indoors?!!!!! I had never heard that before. Can someone explain it to me? Is that really a thing?

Many people hold that to open an umbrella indoors is bad luck. Obviously, to do so is likely to result in damage to wallpaper, paint and ornaments so it may have practical origins.
Reply 52
Original post by Pickles
I'm quite a superstitious person, but my main superstition is definitely walking over 3 drains, I can't bring myself to do it...ever.

Original post by kalclash
I was about to smugly click that I don't believe in any of them until I realised that I avoid 3 drains at all costs - even if it endangers my life in the process.

3 drains? Never even heard of this one... is it 3 drains per journey? per day?

Looks like someone else didn't know about this:

Spoiler

Original post by Dr Pesto
It baffles me how otherwise intelligent people can believe that walking under a ladder, or anything else in the poll, is 'unlucky'.

It's unlucky when the chap on the ladder drops his tin of paint on your head because you distracted him by walking under his ladder.
Original post by Good bloke
Many people hold that to open an umbrella indoors is bad luck. Obviously, to do so is likely to result in damage to wallpaper, paint and ornaments so it may have practical origins.

Yep, the same applies to all of the poll items; they all carry an increased risk of injury/damage/etc. Even Friday 13th has been shown to have higher rates of motor accidents, but that may be a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Whereas things like throwing salt over your left shoulder, or saluting a magpie really are a waste of nervous energy.

Fingers crossed anyway...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

Yep, the same applies to all of the poll items; they all carry an increased risk of injury/damage/etc. Even Friday 13th has been shown to have higher rates of motor accidents, but that may be a self-fulfilling prophecy...

You have to suspect that they all started as a means of getting people to avoid extra risks, in much the same way that religions started as a means of getting them to behave in the way their rulers deemed appropriate.
inb4 atheists come and say "God"
Original post by Trapz99
inb4 atheists come and say "God"

Now read post number 3.
Original post by Pickles
I'm quite a superstitious person, but my main superstition is definitely walking over 3 drains, I can't bring myself to do it...ever.

What's the biggest superstition you believe in?

broked 10 mirrors
opened an umbrella indoor a few times
walked over uncountable drains my country has a lot of them
walked under a ladder twice
maybe thats why im so unlucky
Reply 57
I don't actually believe in any of them but I still don't walk over 3 drains if I can help it. Not sure why, think it's just ingrained into me from being younger - I don't actually think it dictates if I'm gonna have bad luck or not :tongue: Hell, I've done that most of my adult life and I can't remember the last time I had a flow of good luck!!
Reply 58
Opening an umbrella indoors will bring:
-short stature
-possibility of being electrocuted by hitting a bulb with a wet umbrella
-an angry mum for wetting the floor.
:biggrin:
Reply 59
Original post by RizK

-an angry mum for wetting the floor.
:biggrin:

You need to improve your bladder control.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest