The Student Room Group

Architecture interview at Ravensbourne with no portfolio

Hi,

I've applied for Architecture at Ravensbourne university and I've been called in for an interview, although Ravensbourne website does not ask for a portfolio under 'entry requirements'. I am stuck to as what to do now? is it possible to make a quick rough portfolio in the next 11 days? (interview on the 24th).

I have no knowledge, experience or any sort of history with architecture. It's a course which I always wanted to do.
Reply 1
Yes you can do it. I've made portfolios in a couple of days and got in. But DO start NOW!!!!! You can do it. Do a mix of design and observation drawings. Don't bother with paintings they take too long. And explain to the interviewer that you didn't have much time to get it together if he looks unimpressed. Smash the interview with ideas about architecture. One last thing don't waste your time on TSR or doing nothing. Just do IT!!!!!!! GL Hope you score an ACE! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Thanks! I'll get started, any hits or tips on what sort of designs will be required or liked? I've stopped designing 5 years ago. Finished my A levels at 19 now being 24 i'm sure i've lost my touch. Any sort of ideas or anything? thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by moh4mm3d
Thanks! I'll get started, any hits or tips on what sort of designs will be required or liked? I've stopped designing 5 years ago. Finished my A levels at 19 now being 24 i'm sure i've lost my touch. Any sort of ideas or anything? thanks!

Yeah sure design a small house you can just use ruler and pencil. You can do that in a couple of days. I'd do observation drawings as well anything that shows you can draw. And a sketchbook with drawings of stuff that comes into my head. I'd also read a short history of architecture or anything that's in the local library on architecture. I'm sure you haven't lost your touch as it's like riding a bike you might be a bit wobbly for a few minuted but you can do it!
Reply 4
Original post by Thomb
Yeah sure design a small house you can just use ruler and pencil. You can do that in a couple of days. I'd do observation drawings as well anything that shows you can draw. And a sketchbook with drawings of stuff that comes into my head. I'd also read a short history of architecture or anything that's in the local library on architecture. I'm sure you haven't lost your touch as it's like riding a bike you might be a bit wobbly for a few minuted but you can do it!

Thanks a million! you've been very helpful.
Reply 5
Thanks a million! you've been very helpful.

Greek Classical

Roman Classical

Byzantine

Romanesque

Gothic

Renaissance

Baroque

Historicism

Modern

Contemporary

The ones in bold you can do skip the rest unless you have time to read about them, just look them up on wiki. Enjoy!
Reply 6
Original post by Thomb
Greek Classical

Roman Classical

Byzantine

Romanesque

Gothic

Renaissance

Baroque

Historicism

Modern

Contemporary

The ones in bold you can do skip the rest unless you have time to read about them, just look them up on wiki. Enjoy!

Great! Thanks for your time and effort, you've surely given me hope for this interview. :smile:
Reply 7
Great! Thanks for your time and effort, you've surely given me hope for this interview. :smile:

No Problem hope all goes well and tell me how it went. If you need any more help just ask.
Reply 8
Original post by Thomb
No Problem hope all goes well and tell me how it went. If you need any more help just ask.

Definitely will do. Thank you
Hi,

I've applied for Architecture at Ravensbourne university and I've been called in for an interview, although Ravensbourne website does not ask for a portfolio under 'entry requirements'. I am stuck to as what to do now? is it possible to make a quick rough portfolio in the next 11 days? (interview on the 24th).

I have no knowledge, experience or any sort of history with architecture. It's a course which I always wanted to do.

Hi moh4mm3d!

I am an animation student at Ravensbourne, good luck for your upcoming interview! Always remember to show enthusiasm which should be reflected in your portfolio, this should consists of things like your ideas, inspirations, skills etc

Here is a link of the general things to help you put it together!
Click Me
Good luck!

Jay :biggrin:
Reply 10
Thanks Jay, I really hope I get in. Thanks your for time and effort.
Hi,
I have no knowledge, experience or any sort of history with architecture.

Perfect for Ravensbourne since their course is still not accredited with RIBA list of accredited courses after all these years. So wouldn't bother with a portfolio as they'll no doubt be pleased to accept any Muppet that turns up. Remember at the end of the day once the party of the course is over you be leaving with a degree that is unaccredited within the industry; chance of getting an architecture job?
Reply 12
Original post by Stewie2011
Perfect for Ravensbourne since their course is still not accredited with RIBA list of accredited courses after all these years. So wouldn't bother with a portfolio as they'll no doubt be pleased to accept any Muppet that turns up. Remember at the end of the day once the party of the course is over you be leaving with a degree that is unaccredited within the industry; chance of getting an architecture job?

Thanks for your response. I'm guessing you must of had a bad experience with them. If so, please give me the breakdown about what happened, this may affect my choice.

I understand that it is not part of RIBA however (i've been told) you're eligible to go to part 2 of RIBA by qualifying 3 years BA or Bsc course at uni. I will double confirm with them at my interview and give you an update.

Regards to your point about employment, the employment rate for architecture is 100%, I've got a friend who just graduated and went straight into a job.

Again, i'm assuming you've had a bad experience which I would like you to share.
Thanks for your response. I'm guessing you must of had a bad experience with them. If so, please give me the breakdown about what happened, this may affect my choice.

I understand that it is not part of RIBA however (i've been told) you're eligible to go to part 2 of RIBA by qualifying 3 years BA or Bsc course at uni. I will double confirm with them at my interview and give you an update.

Regards to your point about employment, the employment rate for architecture is 100%, I've got a friend who just graduated and went straight into a job.

Again, i'm assuming you've had a bad experience which I would like you to share.

No I've not had any experience of Ravensbourne. The pure fact is that they are not RIBA accredited and that should tell you enough to send you on your way. Otherwise you might as well go to any Joe who will offer to train you up. I'm no fan off the RIBA but you really have to be on an accredited course or your being taken for a ride. Search other posts on here for Ravensbourne some have some choice words to say about it. 100 percent employment does not necessarily mean architecture it might be working in McDonald's so don't be taken in too easily by statistics being thrown at you.

Also, I'm pretty sure that having a BA in Architecture without level 1 does not qualify you to go on to do level 2 - why would any course bother to a accredit to level 1 if that were the case. Asking a Ravensbourne tutor would be pointless. They are there to convince you to sign up to their course (like all uni's) knowing that anything they can say can be backtracked out of 2-3 years later as all got gotten off, they no doubt will be very persuasive I would avoid all together like the plague.
Reply 14
Hi guys,

I've just had my interview on Tuesday. My interview went really poor at first, the lady who interviewed me was very harsh and disagreed with everything I said. After leaving the interview, I spoke to a friend who graduated from there, told me to go back in and speak to the head of Architecture as the interviewer was from Fashion department and didn't have much understanding of the course. So I went back in and asked for the head, while I waited a 3rd year student approached me, asking me how my interview went. I was honest, I said it went really poorly, I explained that I haven't studied in a long time so my skills are lacking. He asked me if I would like a second interview with an architecture lecturer to try my luck. I thought might well, give it a try, luckily it went okay and the guy was really nice (Idress).

The lady at the first interview (from fashion) told me that I won't be able to pass the first year and my work is not good enough, although I've explained that it's been ages since I've touched pencil and paper and I am willing to work hard. The architecture lecturer said my work was decent but can be improved which I understood. He offered me a place in interior design at first then I said I'd have to decline, as I wanted to study architecture. In the end they said they would get back to me.

Yesterday I got an offer from Ravensbourne for Architecture :smile: which I was happy about. After everything that happened I didn't think I would of got in.

What I like about the place is that it is very small, the classes are small in Architecture (30-50ppl max) and the lecturer can form a better relationship with you.

Stewie2011, I've asked them about RIBA they said that they will be starting it soon from this year onwards. Also the people who just done 3yrs without RIBA can go straight into RIBA part 2. This is what was told at the interview. A friend of mine graduated from there and is in an architecture job. I see why you are concerned and I wouldn't of chosen it if my friend didn't give me inside info about it.

I want to thank everyone who gave their time to help me. I appreciate it.

Stewie2011, Thomb and Ravensbounre (jay)

Thank you all
Hi guys,

I've just had my interview on Tuesday. My interview went really poor at first, the lady who interviewed me was very harsh and disagreed with everything I said. After leaving the interview, I spoke to a friend who graduated from there, told me to go back in and speak to the head of Architecture as the interviewer was from Fashion department and didn't have much understanding of the course. So I went back in and asked for the head, while I waited a 3rd year student approached me, asking me how my interview went. I was honest, I said it went really poorly, I explained that I haven't studied in a long time so my skills are lacking. He asked me if I would like a second interview with an architecture lecturer to try my luck. I thought might well, give it a try, luckily it went okay and the guy was really nice (Idress).

The lady at the first interview (from fashion) told me that I won't be able to pass the first year and my work is not good enough, although I've explained that it's been ages since I've touched pencil and paper and I am willing to work hard. The architecture lecturer said my work was decent but can be improved which I understood. He offered me a place in interior design at first then I said I'd have to decline, as I wanted to study architecture. In the end they said they would get back to me.

Yesterday I got an offer from Ravensbourne for Architecture :smile: which I was happy about. After everything that happened I didn't think I would of got in.

What I like about the place is that it is very small, the classes are small in Architecture (30-50ppl max) and the lecturer can form a better relationship with you.

Stewie2011, I've asked them about RIBA they said that they will be starting it soon from this year onwards. Also the people who just done 3yrs without RIBA can go straight into RIBA part 2. This is what was told at the interview. A friend of mine graduated from there and is in an architecture job. I see why you are concerned and I wouldn't of chosen it if my friend didn't give me inside info about it.

Thank you all

Congratualtions moh4mm3d!
We look forward to having you,
Feel free to come to our degree show and took a look into our work! :smile:
Click Here
Congrats again!

Jay :biggrin:
Reply 16
Hi guys,

Thank you all

Congratulations ion getting a place.
Hi guys,

Thank you all

Ok I gotta weigh in here...

That interview process sounds to me like standard playing hard to get... you're far more likely to accept an offer if they give you a hard ride and then send you an offer anyway.

Sure your friend may be working in an 'architecture job' - but is he a registered architect? There's a myriad of different jobs in an architecture practice, such as an architectural assistant, architectural technician, technical manager, visual artist.. none require RIBA certification and none provide a platform onto being qualified.

Also you cannot go into Part II study without a Part I validation. You CAN get onto a Part II course without a Part I university course, but only if you get independently accredited by the RIBA, which costs time and money (and requires you to demonstrate quality skills in practice management, law, design, detailing.. none of which Ravensbourne properly teach you). So they're not lying to you when they said that, but they're being extremely duplicitous, or you misunderstood them.

I would strongly advise calling the RIBA and asking them directly about the accreditation process before you enrol, to make sure you can see a clear path beyond your years at Ravensbourne.

Just think, WHY isn't Ravensbourne accredited with the RIBA? It's not like it costs them anything, it's just the RIBA saying "yes, this is a good course that teaches to a high enough standard to be equivalent to our Part I examination processes". Ravensbourne isn't at that standard, which makes it inferior to every single validated architecture course taught in the country.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys,

Thank you all

Hi, sorry if this is a bit late and you've already started but I thought I'd just give you some quick advice as I wish I'd been given it before I started at Ravensbourne. I've just completed my first year in Architecture BA Hons at Ravensbourne, and it's completely different to what I expected. I just wanted to say that the "small" classes you think there will be aren't infact small. There were 80+ people on my course, because they shove both the IDEAS (Interior Design) and Architecture course together for the first two years. I believe that the year or two above me had around 90 students overall in their year - so quite a common thing is that the lecturer doesn't get through everyone unless you count a max of 5 minutes as adequate.

Just please be careful with this university, believe me, nothing is quite as it seems with them ever!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending