The Student Room Group

LAW at uni

I want to go to glasgow or bristol.
I have been predicetd a*ac, is there any point in applying?
I've done work experience at 7 different law firms and am a prefect at school will that make any difference to my application?
If you intend to practice then be aware that going to Glasgow may require you to do additional exams if you ever want to practice in England.
I would apply anyway if you are one grade below asking as you have time to improve and its only predicted.

Work experience at 7 firms by year 12? How and why?

Dont forget on your personal statement you are going there to study, so they will be more interested in why you wnat to study the subject from an academic perspective. Its fine showing legal work experience, but make sure you understand how that fits in and dont oversell it.
I cant speak for Bristol, but as a current Glasgow uni law student i would say that Glasgow are quite strict with your LNAT score, so if you perform well there then that might compensate for your grades.

Also, you are choosing between a Scots law degree and an English law degree so make sure you know what you want before you apply.

Scottish degrees are also 4 years instead of 3 so that might be an important factor when coming to a decision.

It sounds like you really enjoyed undertaking work experience, so may I also recommend considering Strathclyde uni. They have a fantastic law clinic and have available a dual Scots and English law degree course.
They are less strict when it comes to grades and do not require an LNAT.

I mean Glasgow is the best in Scotland (i might be bias hehe) but Strathclyde still gets a great name
Reply 3
Bristol is an excellent law school, usually in the top 10. I would say Glasgow is not as prestigious as Edinburgh for Law though. However, the thing with a Scottish uni is their degree is allowing you to go on to practice law in Scotland. If you want a UK training contract then you'll have to do the GDL before the LPC...which unless you bag a TC before it then you will be paying for it yourself! The issue with having to go on to do the GDL from a Scots law degree could persuading law firms in the UK when applying for a TC is why you have done a Scots law degree if all along you know you want do English law. Not too much of an issue but something to consider...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending