The Student Room Group

want a job but no referees!

Hi everyone

I am in my first year of uni and am looking at applying for a summer job. However i do not have any referees. I did ask whilst i was in sixth form if 2 teachers would be my referees which they agreed to, however this was 2 years ago and i'm worried that they will not be in contact and i would prefer to use people who currently know me. I understand you are not allowed to use friends for the majority and that they have to be a previous employer or an academic person. I have only had year 10 work experience and a volunteer summer job as previous work, the last one being nearly 2 years ago so i doubt i could ask them anyway. So i want to ask 2 people at uni to be my referees. However i do not know how to go about this and in uni the lecturers do not know me as well as they did in high school so who am i supposed to use as referees?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

why not use your teachers like before ? i am sure they would be happy to support you in your job application.
Reply 2
I'm in the same boat. On Monday I'm going to ask my (preferred) lecturers if it's okay for them to be contacted for references since it will be my last lecture with them. I'd recommend you do the same.
I'm hopeful that they'll be fine with it. If not then idk who else to ask tbh.
Reply 3
Original post by the bear
why not use your teachers like before ? i am sure they would be happy to support you in your job application.

But i cant always use my teachers, like what if i dont end up getting a job until like 5 years later so that would mean i would be using referees from like 7 years ago. I just want to know how you go about using uni referees. Like do you just ask your lecturer directly or do you have to make an appointment with the careers office and they do it on your behalf?
Last referee I had gave me a red card
Reply 5
Personal tutor? :smile:

I always use my last employer and personal tutor, depending on the situation and job :smile:

You should ask your teacher.. you won't have to use them in a few years, I'd imagine (hope) you'd have had a job by then.
Just put references supplied on request.

It is standard to ask for 2 referees. One character and one work related. Your teacher or a family friend in a profession cna count as the character. If you were there for more than 2 weeks in your work experience then ask them for the work one.
In the event you cant supply a work one then inform HR thatdue to you leaving school/ starting /Uni, then that would be difficult and offer them a teacher reference or take their guidance. They are not stupid and will appreciate you might not be able to supply one. In many instances employers dont bother to take up references.
Reply 7
Original post by sh9
I'm in the same boat. On Monday I'm going to ask my (preferred) lecturers if it's okay for them to be contacted for references since it will be my last lecture with them. I'd recommend you do the same.
I'm hopeful that they'll be fine with it. If not then idk who else to ask tbh.

Its annoying right, and they don't even have any info on the uni website about it when its quite a major thing. Lucky you still have lectures, mine finished a few weeks ago so i only go in for exams at the moment. I'm just going to have to visit the lecturers during office hours or email them about it :/

Let me know how it goes.
There are plenty of low pay/temp/low skill jobs where they don't bother checking references. It's not worth the time. If you turn up and are not a complete numpty, you'll be fine for the job. So I'd just put down a teacher, lecturer (uni tutor?) or someone from your voluntary placement.
Reply 9
Well I've applied for a couple of charity internships which says that you can use friends as referees so thats fine. I also applied to Asda which will probably want references from me if i get shortlisted. I want to apply to a waitressing job i found on my uni vacancy page however they already want the contact details of 2 referees so i stopped. Do you think i should email the 2 teachers i asked to tell them that they may get emails asking for references so that they can be prepared? And what if their contact details have changed or they do not answer, i assume that means i do not get the job. :/
Reply 10
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Last referee I had gave me a red card

Why?
Reply 11
Original post by Quantex
There are plenty of low pay/temp/low skill jobs where they don't bother checking references. It's not worth the time. If you turn up and are not a complete numpty, you'll be fine for the job. So I'd just put down a teacher, lecturer (uni tutor?) or someone from your voluntary placement.

The volunteer job was a few year ago and i kind of left on a bad note. do you just directly go up to your tutor/lecturer and ask them to be your reference? I'm planning to make a careers appointment to do a mock interview anyway so ill probably ask then but i was applying for a job today which asked me for references in advance so i was abit worried.
I managed to get a job without references so it's possible, otherwise just use your school teachers.
Original post by r-t
Well I've applied for a couple of charity internships which says that you can use friends as referees so thats fine. I also applied to Asda which will probably want references from me if i get shortlisted. I want to apply to a waitressing job i found on my uni vacancy page however they already want the contact details of 2 referees so i stopped. Do you think i should email the 2 teachers i asked to tell them that they may get emails asking for references so that they can be prepared? And what if their contact details have changed or they do not answer, i assume that means i do not get the job. :/

You are making it more difficult than it needs to be.
e-mail your teachers and just put them on general notice that you are applying for a few jobs and you might need to take them up on their offer of providing a reference.

They wouldnt normally take them up till after they offer the job or after they have interviewed you. Talk to HR at hat point if you are worried. They just wnat to find out you are who you say you are and are reasonably ok.
Reply 14
Ok i will try and ask them next week, its abit hard because i do not have any classes anymore and want to avoid asking via email so i will have to try and track them down around my exams. I will make an appointment with the careers office as i assume they've had this question asked a million times.
Original post by r-t
The volunteer job was a few year ago and i kind of left on a bad note. do you just directly go up to your tutor/lecturer and ask them to be your reference? I'm planning to make a careers appointment to do a mock interview anyway so ill probably ask then but i was applying for a job today which asked me for references in advance so i was abit worried.

Just drop them a polite email and possibly attach a CV so if they are asked for a reference, they can tailor their response. Acting as referees are part of a tutor's role, so they aren't going to say no.
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
You are making it more difficult than it needs to be.
e-mail your teachers and just put them on general notice that you are applying for a few jobs and you might need to take them up on their offer of providing a reference.

They wouldnt normally take them up till after they offer the job or after they have interviewed you. Talk to HR at hat point if you are worried. They just wnat to find out you are who you say you are and are reasonably ok.

oh i thought they would have asked the referees now because they wanted the contact details in advance. ok will do, hopefully i can find them next week and ask.
Reply 17
Original post by Quantex
Just drop them a polite email and possibly attach a CV so if they are asked for a reference, they can tailor their response. Acting as referees are part of a tutor's role, so they aren't going to say no.

i've never spoken to my personal tutor before, i will have to ask my subject tutors.
Original post by r-t
oh i thought they would have asked the referees now because they wanted the contact details in advance. ok will do, hopefully i can find them next week and ask.

Its very rare this happens because that might mean asking for references from every applicant, whereas if they only do that for successful candidates it wastes far less time.
Reply 19
ok thank you, i will try and ask my uni lecturers first to my referees then if they refuse then ill let my old teachers know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending